How to find out if they are single?

shy2cool

I guess I could insert the the question into a bit of conversation - 'so why isn't your boyfriend here tonight?' etc...

sorry, i'm very new to all this. I want to make it my first new years resolution to ask a girl for her number.

I don't want to be a fool asking a taken girl for her number...

One thing you can do is ask them what they did this week/day/weekend, or what their plans are. Somewhere in there they should mention doing something with the boyfriend, I'd hope.

And you could also get into a conversation that is fun and comfortable and just ask, "hey, you got a boyfriend?" And if they do, then you go ahead and follow up with what their plans are for the weekend or something, so you don't seem like you just got shot down or anything. If they say no, of course you would say whatever it is you planned to say if they said "Oh, no I don't have one" to you asking "so why isn't your boyfriend here tonight?"

I've been in your situation before, when I was interested in someone who I didn't know if he had a girlfriend or not. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get around this, and DN's suggestion is your best bet. If it turns out she has a boyfriend, then just say, "Oh, well thanks for telling me then. By the way, he's a lucky guy!"

That's a gracious response, and all that should be expected of you, really.