Would this be mean??

Hi...I just need some input.

I had an employee who left about 5 or 6 months ago....while not really on BAD terms...(she gave me notice) but I didn't accept it because I saw her as a liability to my company..and suspected she may have taken clients with her.

I posted a thread here...if anyone wants to read the history.

She said some VERY negative things to me when I told her her her notice was appreciated but not necessary as she was free to go.

Now......up to date: I received a call a few days ago from what i suspect is a Mortgage company. Apparently she is attempting to get some sort of loan....and they need former employer verification. I gave them verbal information over the phone...but today i get this form that was sent to me over night....asking me to fill it out immediately and overnight it back to them.

I got this just yesterday......and within an hour of getting it...they called me at work about SIX times telling me I was holding up an "important transaction" by not sending that form back immediately!!!!! I must say i was VERY peeved.....considering everytime the phone rang I had to walk away from a client. Finally I got rude..and said.."look, Ill send it when I get a chance!!! After that I really considered saying screw it..I don't owe her anything.........why should I send ANYTHING on her behalf?? BUT I know thats the petty side of me talking.....so......would it be wrong or petty of me to not send this form in?? I have a conscience and would not want to do anything to hurt anyone.

Thoughts?

Excuse me??? I have in NO way made this womans life 'miserable". If you bothered to read the thread about this particular person you would know what I am talking about...furthermore. I am not being vindictive.....I have no obligation to this person whatsoever......and me being harassed at work about this is simply ridiculous.

You are not technically obligated to send the form in. However I have a feeling your conscience would bother you if you didn't. It is unprofessional for the mortgage company to hound you like that though. I'd definitely tell them off and demand that they stop calling you. They have no right to do that.

Personally I'd send in the form when I had a chance to get it done.

Thanks Avman...I appreciate the reply. You're right..I probably would feel bad

if I didn't send it because I AM a pretty fair person....but I'm also not a doormat. I really thought me giving them info over the phone would have sufficed..and I was more than happy to give them verification. It's the hounding me about it..and that this is somehow a 'priority" simply because they overnighted me a form...which by they way...they made SURE they told me cost THEM money to do. I just can't believe the nerve.....

Hi LB,

I feel your disgust with your betraying ex-employee and I've had worse happen to me. Yet, I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I work in the Real Estate field and I've seen situations where people can't get a verification of employment history and it did not end pretty.

First, if she cannot qualify under full documentation for the loan the lender may have to offer a different type of loan that will not verify her work history. This loan will cost her an additional 1.5% to 2.0% extra on the yearly rate.

Second, In the past I have seen ex-employers liable for the increase in rate due to the with holding of request. Why? Since it was in the former employer's obligation to abide by the request due to industry's standard underwriting practices that protects the banks.

Lastly, take the high road and be the professional business lady you are and show your ex-employee that you are not down to her level. Remember she has her fate to deal with and God evens the playing field. Mitigate this by quickly getting rid of it and moving on with your more important life.

My two cents worth....

A little late, but I'll toss in another vote for sending it in AND then complaining about the unprofessional tactics the mortgage company is using.

BTW, I'd take the time to research the mortgage company and speak to the highest-ranking official I could find. For all you know, the problem might be one particular broker or one particular office, and not the way this company generally conducts business. Company CEO's and/or business owners don't like to hear about employees behaving in a way that runs contrary to company policy...and butts getting chewed from the top down makes more of an impact than just talking to an immediate supervisor.

Or as my ex-college bf's stepfather so eloquently put it, "(Manure) rolls downhill."

I think you're doing the right thing (as I'm late in replying!) I didn't read the background on this woman, but there comes a point where you just let it go. No, you probably wouldn't rehire her, but apparently she did you a favor by leaving.

As far as the mortage company constantly calling, that's the company's doing not hers. Take note of the unprofessional behavior on their part (even include a note with the form explaining that the constant calling was not appreciated nor professional) and remember the company when doing business in the future. That's a shame!