I finally understand

They followed my every gesture, all eyes were on me. They trusted that I

would guide them, they worked together, fed off of each other and me, and achieved something great.

What an amazing feeling. I had to hold back the tears, I didn't want to cry in front of them. I'm still in awe as to how great these kids are. Its sad that I can only be with them for a semester, I'm done student teaching in a few days and will graduate soon.

I always loved performing and treasured the feelings I experienced while

playing. It was through live performance that I first discovered how exhilirating it is to completely "let go." To have a convincing performance, to make a real connection, I can't fake my emotion. It has to be real. Which means there can be no barriers, no hesitation between me and whoever it is I'm playing for. I have to trust completely and take the risk of expressing what I feel inside. Then comes the excitement of taking that risk and knowing that you've connected with someone on a deeper level.

I was unsure as to whether being a band director was right for me, whether I had chosen the right major. Just because I enjoyed performing didn't mean I would like teaching. But today I'm up on the podium, conducting a piece with my advanced group, and something clicked. I gave everything I had and they gave back. They listened to each other, worked together, and put their trust in me to create something beautiful. Every student was engaged, they were so loyal, watching me eagerly to see where I would take them. Its amazing to have that kind of connection with the band, and know that you are working with each other on a much deeper level.

I was worried teaching band wouldn't be as satisfying as being a performer. I thought I wouldn't find the same thrill or excitement. But I feel now, it will be just as, if not more, fufilling.

• 4 weeks later...