I have talked about this befor but I just don't know what to do! This girl keeps picking on my daughter. They are both 5th graders. She has done everything she can to avoid this girl. Once she pushed her into traffic, she's pulled her hair, stolen her things, the list goes on.

I have gone to the school repeatedly. The principal insists she is doing all she can. In our old district a kid would have been suspended by now, if not expelled. No tolerance. I don't know what to do!

I can't stand to see my kid so upset!!!

I was picked on relentlessly - changed schools every year until I was 10. I am not sure changing schools is the answer.

Perhaps it is time to teach her some self defense. Not to pick fights - but to teach her a few tricks (poking eyes suddenly makes anyone back off).

I'm not saying teach her Karate or anything. Just keep instilling confidence by constantly being this advocate for her safety.

You could look into private schooling. Because you are paying good money, your concerns will be met with seriousness.

Research how to stop this on the web or at the library. Perhaps there is something you haven't tried.

Go over the principals head and take it to the school board. Talk to the superintendent. File a formal complaint. Go to the local newpaper or TV station and tell your story (the school will hate that). And as a last resort, talk to an attorney.

It sounds like you've tried the nice approach, but it might be time to make some noise and force them to take some action.

I would first approach the school by writing a formal letter of complaint and requesting an urgent meeting to tackle the problem. When you address them in writing, t his means you and they have a record of the problem. I would further confirm any conversation you have with the school so for example, following the meeting, you write a letter confirming what was said and how they plan to resolve this issue and suggest a meeting in say, 2 weeks time for an update. Again, you write and confirm the meeting, any updates and any further goals.

If your daughter encounters any further problems with this child or any child, I suggest you telephone and once again, put it in writing as in "Further to our telephone conversation on... regarding the innappropriate behaviour....."

This will ensure you have a complete history and record and they will know you are serious.

I do believe that if they at first don't treat this seriously, after a couple of letters they will know they should, but if they still don't act, I wold engage a lawyer who can send a letter requesting they resolve the problem immediately.

It isn't fair that any child should have to live in fear and peer bullying can have a devastating and lasting effect and shouldn't be left.

Wishing you well and please do keep us posted.

Maybe its time to see if the police will pay her parents a visit. At that age a nice chat with Mr policeman can do alot of good.

Just an idea.

That is exactly what I was going to say... At that age, a person of such authority will scare the crap out of a kid.. God, they STILL scare the crap out of me

Have you tried taking it higher than the principal, like to the superintendent? I'm not sure how big of a school district it is, or how it works down there, but up here, the superintendent is more than happy to meet with parents who have unresolved issues.

I have been working with the school for months. I finally went to the superintendent of schools.

Last night when I got home and actually saw my little girl, I took her directly to the Police Dept to file a report.

We have been working on her to teach her to defend herself, but she is very passive. She just has no desire to hit someone.

WE live in the country, so changing schools isn't an option. The next school district is several miles away.

I have been working with the school for months. I finally went to the superintendent of schools.

Last night when I got home and actually saw my little girl, I took her directly to the Police Dept to file a report.

We have been working on her to teach her to defend herself, but she is very passive. She just has no desire to hit someone.

WE live in the country, so changing schools isn't an option. The next school district is several miles away.

What did the superintendent have to say? Was he/she supportive and willing to take action?

Great for filing a report. Did the police station say whether or not they were going to take immediate action?

It must be such a hard time for you and your daughter Im sorry.

Self-defense is a great thing for a young girl to learn, whatever the reason may be for starting it. I suppose it's probably a good thing she doesn't want to hit people