Menstrual suppression

Honestly I think it messes with your hormones, and your head. Just my opinion, but unless you have issues like endometriosis or similar issues where having a period is extremely painful and even dangerous, I don't think it is a very good thing.

Menstrual suppression means you need to take more hormones, more hormones increase risks of certain illnesses and impact your endocrine system even more. I went off the pill this year after 10 years on it which was MORE than enough, now I see more they are more aware of the risks of that long term, regular use. As much as doctors say that the pill etc does not affect you, and that going off it does not affect you....most women I know will say it does - even without "bad" effects there are some subtle long term ones that creep up on you that impact you while on it, and for months after you go off it.

I am not against birth control by any means, but I am very much for empowerment, and knowledge and not taking it just because your best friend does or you saw the ad on tv. And if you do want to "suppress it", to learn about it, don't just take the advice that "it does no harm". Years ago my doctor said that the pill did NOT increase breast cancer risk for example, now they know it definitely does in those sensitive to it and with genetic risks, though they never updated me on it, and only a new doctor recommended I go off it.

RayKay, are you saying that with the taking of more pills to suppress the period, you are messing with your head and hormones. What kind of ill effects can it have on a person? I was doing that for about two years, where I would take pills for a few months, then come off it and again for another few months. The only thing I did notice was some weight gain. Are you saying that what I did could have lasting effects on me in the future, in terms of hormones?

I am saying if you are not taking the breaks for periods, you are putting more hormones in your body and not giving a chance to come down either.

I belonged to a message board for women whom had bad effects with the pill, and other birth control. Many of them over time had lower sex drives, mild depression, high anxiety...for me I only really noticed how much it effected me once I was OFF it, and the low grade depression and HUGE anxiety I had for years and years and though was just me actually totally LIFTED off me though nothing else had changed in my life (in fact there was way more to be stressed and anxious about!).

Women coming off it also sometimes have huge mood and body swings as their body has to learn to make their own hormones again.

For me too, due to my genetic breast cancer risk, the extra estrogen is bad bad as it can feed estrogen receptive cancer cells and trigger cancer.

I've been told by doctors that it's safe to do up to 2 months in a row. Generally, you will bleed anyway if you try more than that.

I've done it a few times when I've had special events to go to, or over the summer when I swim a lot. I've never had any problems with mood etc.

I've read that this is recommended for people who get very heavy periods or those who have anemia. I guess it's a matter of whether the risks outweigh the benefits.

I was on depo-provera for awhile (3 years) and I loved the side effect of not having a period and PMS. It was great not to have the mood swings, the cramps not just in my stomach area but down into my legs as well, the two weeks (!) of bleeding, and knowing when it is done, I just have 2 weeks before the PMS starts all over again!