Comprehension Confusion

Okay, I don't know where to start, but here I go.

Recently I've noticed my comprehension skills have been less than reliable. I have trouble following my english teacher's discussions in class, directions, new concepts from my studies, a turn of phrase, conversations and jokes.

I've tried to figure out what might be causing it and think it may be my tiny vocabulary (something I'm looking to improve, just don't know where to start), my ADHD, my lifetime habit of staying at home and avoiding people and human interaction all together, my age (19), or a combination of all of them.

Whatever it might be, I want to fix it. I don't want this problem to have a negative impact on my current relationships, hurt my efforts to make new relationships, my studies or my efforts to find a career.

If anyone thinks they might be able to help please do!

BTW, I've been out of high school for more than a year now and it seems like I forgot a good amount of what I learned. Am I the only one with this problem? Because I gotta say, I'm in college now, and it doesn't seem worth going through all this learning if I'm just going to forget everything. Is there anyway to learn something for life?

Thanks!

Don't live like a hermit but when it comes to people you need to act like a castle gate and close yourself to bad people/things/events and open yourself up to good people/things/events , its normal to lose abilities its like a sword that you need to keep sharp, if that doesn't happen it will rust. So a lifetime studying of things that you really enjoy would be recommendable.

One thing that improves your vocabulary is by simply reading. Read, and look up (in the dictionary) every word that you don't know. Try to use the word in conversations with others.

This does seem, though, to be more than a vocabulary issue. It's not difficult to figure out what some words mean because you can get clues from the ways that they are used in sentences. You can see how the word is used in context, and almost figure out for yourself what it means. So what they underlying problem might be is your attention.

I have worked children with ADD/ADHD (in a school setting), and many of them were very bright, even intelligent, but their attentional deficits prevented them from soaking up pieces of new information. The question as to how you can get your ADD under control is beyond my knowledge. I wouldn't suggest medication because I usually do not advocate its use (just a personal preference/opinion).

Maybe you should see a therapist about this, and he/she could help you tackle this problem?

As for learning about things that are worthwile . . . it definitnely makes sense. But there's always going to be those courses that you HAVE to take, those required courses, that are outside of your major. If you're not interested in the subjects at all, then you have to get over that fast. There's nothing you can do about it, you gotta suck it up and deal with those classes that you'd rather not take.

Make sure, though, that you major in something that you're not only interested in, but that also has practical applications to a career path. (No offense to all those philosophy majors out there LOL! Kidding

I agree with Jilligirl - see a counselor about this. My graduate institution offers something called academic therapy that addresses these very problems. Look into what your school has to offer and make that appointment. They can diagnose you and give you the help you need.

That said, many people struggle academically when they first get to college. I know I did! Most of my friends did, too. It's a hard adjustment to make!

And hats off to you for recognizing your problems with adjusting and addressing them. You're ahead of the game! You'll be fine, even if your freshman grades are less than stellar. Get thee to the academic counseling office!!!

Definitely see someone. It could possibly be that something in your subconscious is chewing up all the available space in your memory, and you're repressing. Are you having trouble understanding spoken English? Like, people are talking, but you don't know what they're saying, it's just gibberish to you? That started happening to me just before I got my memory back (I had amnesia).