Just needed to get it out...

Having an absolutely dejecting week. I've had to repeat some uni courses which I failed last year, having prevented me from graduating. Yet the most recent exam went very badly, and I fear it'll be another year down the drain. That had lowered my motivation to study for the next one enough, though I have been doing so out of necessity. But then I just had my bag and keys stolen whilst in the library, and that just compounded the existing anxiety and distress. The rest of my friends aren't so aware, nevertheless they're all going places, some graduated, others with footholds in their future careers. And it just makes my condition all the more gloomy and depressing. Especially when my folks and all are expecting me to graduate.

Topping it off, I've been gradually building up contact with a girl I like who did graduate and has completed a dissertation. She had been positively backing me getting through, but what will she think now after I flunk again?

Feel like such a wreck. Life is hard to comprehend right now.

First, I think you need to take a positive outlook on this. You haven't failed the class yet, just one test. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet!

Secondly, school is tough! Everyone's situation is different and anyone who looks down upon you for trying anything and not succeeding the first time in life, doesn't really understand life! We learn more from the trying than the succeeding!

Also, stop comparing yourself to others. Like I said, everyone's situation is different and just because they are at a place that you want to be doesn't make them better off. Focus on what it is that you need to do.

Consider looking at what you're doing. Why did you fail the classes the first time? Did you try to take on too much? Maybe you need to scale down some things in your life to make room for studying these last few weeks? Were you stressing yourself out to the point where you couldn't function? Maybe you need to practice some relaxation exercises. (Take a walk. Do some yoga. Find time to relax a bit.) Are you socializing too much and not giving yourself the time to focus? Maybe you shouldn't attend that club meeting or join people for a drink this time. Were you studying hard and not grasping the material? Maybe you're not studying appropriately for you and you should approach the professor or a counselor who specializes in study skills or a tutor. Take advantage of other ways to try and get what you need.

Overall, it sounds to me like you're worrying yourself too much. Relax and give it your best shot. The worst that could happen is that you fail the class (you already know that this isn't the end of the world... you just have to try again.) Stop worrying about others and focus on what you need to do!

Thanks for the reply. I do generally try and look at the positive side of things, however since I've failed once and had to wait half a year to make up for it - if it were to happen again, I feel like time is just ticking away with no remorse, as I just seem to be unable to progress. Unfortunately, that test wasn't just a small thing, but worth over 3/4 of the grade. Hence a bad feeling with it, means a bad feeling with the whole course. I had studied more than I did in previous years (though still not as soon as I'd liked), but when the time came, I was confounded by many questions which cause a panicked blank in my head, and that really disappointed the outcome.

It's just the idea of another year without making any real progress is difficult to take in, especially when I was so determined to get it over with the 2nd time.

You can do well in that uni course, even if you failed the first exam.

When I was an undergrad, I took college algebra. I failed my first midterm. But on the second midterm and the final I studied my AZZ off and boy did it pay off! I think I got a B or an A- in the class for my final grade. You can still salvage your grade if you want to badly enough.

Who cares what that other girl thinks-- don't try to pass this course for her. Do it for yourself. I'm sure she's messed up with things in her life before . . .