Teen, dating an older friend of mine.

Hi, I'm in a bit of a jam here and I was hoping to get some good advice.

When I was 16, my aunt introduced me to a guy who was 23. We hung out for the night and hit it off really well (not romantically). He's cute, funny, so sweet, and we had fun together.

That was two years ago. Over the past two years we've become even closer friends. We have so much in common it's almost scary. He's still as funny, nice, respectful and cute as ever. Our conversations range from our favorite songs to deep things like our future plans of marriage and things like that (we're not talking about marriage to EACHOTHER, just in general).

In case you can't tell, I really fell hard for him, and I do know that he feels the same way.

The only problem is the age thing. I'm 18 and he's 25 now. Never once during our friendship have I felt like he was older. He still acts very much like guys my age. My friends really like him, and I think my mom is even coming around, though she didn't like it that I was friends with him when I was only 16.

I guess my questions are...if I got up the courage to ask him out, is there something gross or wrong or immoral, because I'm so young and he's 7 years older? We don't look like we're 7 years apart, don't act like it...but we are. And I feel like we would be judged or criticized or that other people would think it's wrong.

I'm trying to be an adult and say "Who cares what others think? I'm legally an adult now, I should control my life." but I've always been the kind of person who cares about what other people think of me, and I would prefer not to be judged because I want to date an older guy.

I guess I'm lucky at least we look the same age, so I don't necessarily have to deal with criticism from random strangers. I'm just a bit worried that if/when others ask, "How old is he?" they'll cringe at the thought of a man dating a teenager.

I don't want anybody, strangers/family/friends, to get the impression that he's some sex-hungry creepy older man, because that's completely the opposite of who he is.

Please help!

thats nothing, hunny. if you love him, than its all up to you. seven years isnt that bad. my aunt is more than ten years older than her boyfriend. look at it this way, if you were 25 hed be 32, and does it seem so bad then? not so much.

id say, go for it. if you like older men, than thats you. theres ABSOLUTLY nothing wrong with it.

good luck hun!

Confused, don't worry about a thing, you guys sound like you're great together, 7 years may seem a lot at 18, but it ain't no thang - just be sure that it's what you want, i am concerned that you commented that you would prefer not to be judged for going out with an older guy - if you have doubts, leave it alone, these doubts may interfere with any relationship you begin, and it would be disastrous if you took it to a new level and the whole deal self-destructed, because you would lose a good friend.

Don't worry about the age gap, for god's sake don't give a toss about what others may think or say, but if you think either of these matters are going to be impassable further down the line, then stop right now and enjoy what you have

good luck

A 7 year age gap isn't all that much, if you're happy that's all that matters. If people comment, they aren't living your life, they don't know how you feel or how he feels or how you both feel together and it doesn't matter because it's your life and you have to live it so put yourself first before anyone. Even if they do make comments do you think you would be happier together then apart?

Whoa, you're my twin. I am in the exact same situation. I'm 18 my boyfriend is 25, we've been friends before that. All I can say is that in my experience, 7 years is nothing. It doesn't change how we interact or how we feel about one another. The only thing I've worried about is the reaction of other people, but I've just about decided to stop doing that.

Just go for it and see what happens. Good luck doll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Your story is just like mine.... I am talking to guy right now who is 24 and I am 17....I turn 18 in just a few months but it seems to far away.....But this guys isn't like any other guy that I have dated....He really cares about me and we can be together with out thinking about sex and things like that.... I really enjoy being with him, mostly because he makes me feel like who I am supposed to be and he makes me want to be a better person....It is extremely hard filling in the age gaps but like you said it doesn't even feel like we are that much apart through our ages....Your story really inspired me....

LeeAnn

• 5 months later...

From being in an age gap relationship myself, if you or him have insecurities with the age difference then it could cause problems. Your gap is not that big and like other people have mentioned that down the road it won't make much of a difference. There are people who are going to have negative opinions, but the only thing that really matters is how you feel about each other. If anybody were to ask you his age, you should be proud to tell anybody and not worry if they cringe or not.