makeup gives you wrinkles?

It can be unhealthy for your skin if you do not wash it off properly. I am not sure if it causes wrinkles but sometimes mothers know more than others...

I do know though that if you wear makeup make sure that you wash your face with a good facial cleanser and also moisterise your face every night. Moisture is important. Also protect your skin from the sun, you cant get new skin. Its with you forever. WEar a makeup that has protection in it and keep yourself out of the sun if you can.

This will prevent wrinkles.

There is no scientific backing for the idea that makeup on it's own will cause wrinkles - it's certainly not a company conspiracy or anything. your mother probably doesn't like seeing you wearing a lot of makeup - and parents usually say a lot of weird things to "scare" their kids out of doing things. I made that face, the wind changed, and It didn't stick! =P

Besides, by 30 - 40 wrinkles would have begun to form naturally. You're young, so you probably don't even need the makeup.

I'm 42. No one believes me when I tell them that. They assume I'm in my early 30's.

I also haven't worn make-up on a regular basis since my second year in college.

Is there a correlation? I think so. But I also think that the genetic hand you were dealt probably has a lot to do with it, too...as does any abuse heaped on your skin by the sun...and it also seems that regular, long-term cigarette smokers appear older than they are, too.

• 3 years later...
It can be unhealthy for your skin if you do not wash it off properly. I am not sure if it causes wrinkles but sometimes mothers know more than others...

I do know though that if you wear makeup make sure that you wash your face with a good facial cleanser and also moisterise your face every night. Moisture is important. Also protect your skin from the sun, you cant get new skin. Its with you forever. WEar a makeup that has protection in it and keep yourself out of the sun if you can.

This will prevent wrinkles.

I disagree with you. If you read any of the research that's out there, your skin does not need moisturizers, especially at night. When you put moisturizers at night, you are signaling your skin to stop producing its own moisture. As far as facial cleansers, most of them are toxic and abrasive. And skin does renew itself.

The skin care experts I have listened to are the ones who suggest washing your face in the morning and at night and wearing sun screen in between. I use vitamin K cream because it fades any spots and soaks in nicely. I rarely wear makeup.

Wash your face with lemon juice or something purely organic. Witch hazel helps since it's not too harsh.

I have a friend who's the same age as me. She loves make-up and has used it since high school days, and I'm the complete opposite and never wear it. The only thing I use is mascara and a little lipstick. When we're together no-one believes we're the exact same age as she looks much much older (lots of wrinkles). Most people think I'm at least 10 years younger than my age. Maybe using tons of make-up for 30 years really does make a difference?

Archived