new job helpI

I was offered a job in my field of study last week and I took it cause I need the experience and the money. ( i am in debt up to my feet). The problem is I am not that experienced with the areas they want me to work with I mean I know some basics so I am not totally clueless. Pluss they hired me without interviewing me which I found odd but kind of cool. (I was hired through a temp agency, It's a temp to hire position). Also the job description itself was very vague. This is my first job right out of school in area I am not very confident in and am scarred I am gonna get the axe for not having enough experience, or not knowing everything.

They said their is training, but still I am scared. Will managers get rid of you if you don;t everythinga about your job at first?

Way to go on the new job! The reason that they go through a company for their hiring is that the TEMP agency did the interviewing. You were selected as being what they were looking for.

Now go in there and do your best! After the probationary period, with any luck you will be officially hired! Have fun and relax, lots of people have to start out with no experiance, how else do you think you'll learn?

Its a plus that you are gonna have some training and that should give you the basics. Its ok to have the butterfly effect its kindda like the first day of school type of thing your new you dont know your way around but dont worry I am sure you will get hang of things in no time and fit it in like a glove.

And dont be scared to ask as many questions as you feel you need to and make sure that at the same time you come accross as confident and willing to learn. Good luck and keep us posted.

Will managers get rid of you if you don;t everythinga about your job at first?

Most employers expect to have to do some training of their employees. Unless you get hired in a very senior role where they would have different expectations, don't be afraid. Companies know that they have to invest some time in their newest employees, especially one that is straight out of school.

Go in with enthusiasm and learn as best you can. If you have questions -ask. If you don't understand something they go through in training, ask if they will repeat it.

Good luck!

You can't be expected to know everything when starting a new job. Every place is different, so there will always be things you need to learn.

The fact that they are going to train you shows that they aren't expecting you to be perfect at it at first.

Just go through it confident that you can learn it, and you will be fine! And like Avman said, don't be afraid to ask questions!

try your best so you don't leave with any regrets. i think everybody walks into a new position afraid that they won't meet expectations. i did that at my first internship, before i started at a bank, and before i even interviewed for my current job. be positive, optimistic and don't sell yourself short. and i heavily agree w/ everything in rodeo-rider's msg. GOOD LUCK!

When do you start?

Rodeo-Rider gave super pointers. Unfortunately when I'd just finished school I didn't UNDERSTAND "dress appropriately" -

There's a great book about temping ... written by a guy who was a grad student in English, I think. He has EXCELLENT tips about gaining acceptance, getting up to speed on skills etc. Check Amazon.

Oh - AVOID going to lunch with anyone from your new workplace, if you can help it. There are people in almost every office who try to make friends of newcomers, and they're not going to make you look good. A positive-constructive way around this, from the book I mentioned, is to set up your lunch breaks so that you meet employed friends of yours working in the area. The author says that this helps with internal acceptance - when people ask what you did for lunch, and you can say "I met up with a friend of mine who's an ad editor at X-Agency", they see that you're in the game, that you have a network.