I just got a call about a half hour ago from my ex-girlfriend that just broke up with me this last week. One of our friends we haven't seen in a year came down this last weekend when I went up and got him and he had a blast this weekend. He tried calling me tonight, but I was on the phone and I ignored it like I do to anyone that interrupts an important call. I got a call from my ex-girlfriend and she told me I needed to call him right away. That he was balling and crying like she had never heard before, and she couldn't even understand a word he was saying. I called him and he was in really bad shape. He had just punched out a window and cut his hand on the glass, I made sure it was okay and not a severe wound and it wasn't. All I could hear him say was "I'm so scared of what I might do to myself, and I really dont want to." He comes from a family whose father walked out on them and whose mother was very abusive. He lived down here in the cities and that's how I met him. He had to move back up north because of living expenses that he couldn't come up with anymore. He's so bent out of shape, because people are telling him to give up and that he's not worth anything, and anything he does is a waste of time. Mind you, he hasn't been suicidal since before he met me and my girlfriend - he told me we are basically his only family.

I'm leaving in about an hour after I can get money for gas with my girlfriend to go pick him up and I'm so scared about how things might turn out. I don't know what to do. I talked to him on the phone and got him to calm down, and now he's trying to sleep. I also got him to promise me he wouldn't hurt himself or do anything else until we get there. I am just so very scared and I don't know what to do or how to handle this type of thing. I've never experience this. If anyone can help me please do, I'm in the most desperate need right now. If you are religious or even if you aren't please pray for this friend of mine, he is really a good hearted guy and he deserves so much to be treated better than he is up north. I don't know where he's going to stay or anything. He can't stay at my house because my dad doesn't like him, and he did last weekend, plus we have 5 people living in my house at the moment. Any suggestions, please! Sorry this is so cluttered, I'm not even thinking straight or taking time to organize this. Help...

Hi apathy,

Sorry about your predicament. You are a good guy for being concerned about him.

Sort out where he stays, perhaps stay with him for a night. Do not let him stay at your dads house though, as his instability may cause you problems at your house.

He needs counselling or therapy or at least send him here.

Meanwhile, What is depression? Depression is a mental pain caused by an imbalance between expectations and ability. To make the pain go away, one has to improve ones ability (do better) and/or change ones expectations. In other words, to avoid depression, one ought to balance ability and expectations. Balance is it, as so often in life. From: Wicked

Talk to him about what expectations are broken, why he can not balance himself. That will take a lot of pressure off.

We are allways here for all of you.