Ab workout

Squeeze your stomach like an orange when you do the sit-ups. And if that isn't enough (which should), get a medicine ball or a weight and place it on your chest (holding onto it slightly). The higher up on the chest, the more resistance. To go all out, do that but at a declination. You'll be feeling it the next day.

And it will take a while (NOT overnight) to notice any changes.

It's really not about how many you do, it's about doing your core work effectively.

If all you are doing is situps, you probably aren't doing an effective core workout. And you may also be compensating by using more of your momentum, than your muscles, to do the movement.

The core involves both back and abdominals, and to get a strong core, you really need to work all those muscle groups.

Also, you need to "contract" your muscles when working on core. If you aren't using your muscles to DO the situp, you are really missing out on targetting the areas you are trying to focus on.

I suggest you also do some research on different core workouts - crunches, oblique crunches, supermans, hunting dogs, front bridge/plank, side bridges, and also into workouts using the gymnastic ball. It takes more than situps to get that definition in the other parts of your stomach too, and to really strengthen your entire core (strong stomach muscles also require strong lower back muscles too, don't neglect them!).

Yes. you need to get some cardio to burn fat. All the situps in the world won't matter if you can't see the muscles to begin with, and you can't "spot train" to reduce fat.

As itsthatguy pointed out, it really is about your overall fitness level, and your diet, that will make the most improvement.

What will work for sure? Finding something you can stick to, and sticking to it. ANY exercise is an improvement or none. Start doing cardio 3-4 times a week (starting with 20-30 minutes at a time if you are new to it). Throw in some weight routines, or plyometrics (including your core workouts) 3-5 times a week and it's a good start. Eat healthy...lower fat but healthy fats too, healthy carbs (ie limit refined sugars and refined carbs), lots of veggies, fruit, lean proteins.

I would consult a personal trainer and nutritionist if you are feeling a bit lost, to get you started on a program.

Raykay, I have been dancing as well so would that count as in cardio? I also have been doing taebo and now I really want to start up on the running.

Dancing definitely counts as cardio, so does tae-bo! I used to dance regularly, and it is quite a workout especially for some of the more upbeat dances.

Running is great, and effective though, too. Just make sure you are properly fitted for the right shoes for you and don't try too much too fast. Running clubs are very good for this - they have "learn to run" programs that are really motivating as you are with other beginners, and the run-walk learning curve they do is very helpful to many. Great way to socialize too

95% of having great looking abs is all about your diet and cutting fat from your midsection, not working out your abs religiously.

Bingo!

Do fatburn - cardio exercise done at a pace so as to just make conversation difficult, ie. a brisk walk or light jog for most people. You should do fatburn exercise for AT LEAST a session of thirty minutes, ideally an hour.

Diet is a huge part as said above. Cut down in the complex sugars, count your calories! Watch the carbs but don't STOP the carbs.