Job Interview tomorrow... any miracle advice?

I have a job interview tomorrow and I thought I'd be all set until I started thinking about it, and thinking maybe I should prepare myself and not "wing it."

I'm looking up some articles online, and I have a couple more hours tonight and a couple tomorrow beforehand.

Does anyone have any advice to give about interviews-- anything you've learned or heard of that is something I may not know already or may not find out for this interview?

All I know right now, before I'm getting too much into what I'm researching is:

Look at them in the eye, introduction, speaking loud and clear, and don't say "like" or too many "um"s, etc.

So any other info, tips, "miracle advice" or anything like that I would love to hear. Or any sites you have bookmarked. I only have a few but it's things I already know and I'm looking for others.

Martha

What are you interviewing for? Dress professionally, make sure you know stuff about the company you are intervieweing with, and make sure to highlight all the qualities that would make you perfect for the job, any experience you've had, courses taken, etc. Also be prepared for that "Do you have any questions?" question. Make sure you have a couple intelligent questions to ask.

What type of job? I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

Man, there's a million things. A lot of it is practice.

Biggest one that has drastically helped me: Walk in there confident, full prepared (know about the company/who would be your boss coworkers/the job), and basically act as though you are already employed there.

Tell them exactly what you can do for them. It's even better if you can state some specific actions you plan on taking once in the position.

And of course, be qualified for the job you applying for.

good luck!

Well, I don't want to get into too much detail but it requires very professional dress, which I stressed over a lot but I think I've got that down. You know, very business and clean-cut.

The asking them questions part is something I've never been able to do... I have no idea what to ask or what they would like to be asked...

I think I'm qualified because I have several years more experience than the minimum that they want. This is what I'm going to highlight, but I'm trying to figure what else I can.

Right now I'm reading removed[/i]

It's making me more nervous with the little "scenario" of failing, haha.

here's my job interview techniques I'm 5/5 with my interviews with State Farm Insurance:

1. be on time.

2. dress appropriately.

3. I always introduce myself with a big smile, confident voice, and firm handshake.

4. take what they offer you.

5. Do not cross your arms or lean back. This makes it look like you are in a defensive state.

6. Instead, lean into the conversation... look engaged.

7. If they ask you a situational question and you have never been in that situation. Don't just say "I haven't ever experienced that". What I have done is the following: "Well I can honestly say that I have no been in that situation before but if I was I would have handled it the following way...."

8. Eye contact... I usually look away every 2 to 3 seconds.

I feel that 7 has saved me so many times. Don't think about it too much though because you don't want to let them know you have played the situation through a lot. "Canned" answers are no good... and I know that for a fact.

good luck.

.ins

hmmm... well there is a 3 hour span they asked me to come at, so should I still plan to get there early/on time for the very beginning?

What are "canned" answers-- generic ones they've probably heard?

Thanks for those suggestions! Number 7 sounds like it will definitely come in handy!

You are also interviewing them, remember. You could work anywhere, but you are choosing them.

Use the question-time to clarify information.

What do you want out this job? That's what they want to know when they ask you if you have any questions.

If you ask something like "So, about the time off I will be getting...", they are going to think you are lazy and only interested in a pay-check.

If you ask questions that show you have been paying attention and care about the job itself: you are golden.

You can really use it to show off how much you know about the company and the position you will be filling.

They are going to have to train you, so they want to know if you are going to ride your past accomplishments or continue to learn.

being early to a job interview always makes a good first impression.

more importantly, i've discerned by reading a number of your posts over time that you are an intelligent and level-headed person, and whatever position you're applying for, i know that you are deserving of the opportunity and highly capable of excelling at the job. you are a star.

keep that truth in the back of your mind as you begin the interviewing process.

good luck, or should i say, may they realize who they have in front of them.

3 hour span... hmmm never heard of that. Are they doing like open interviews or something? I'd say just be there the earlier you can within that 3 hour span to show that you are really interested.

Canned answers are the answers that you already have ready in your mind for specific questions. If you get one of those questions don't just blurt out your answer right away. Instead just respond like you did with all the other questions prior to that. Quick thinking minds that can formulate quality answers or suggestions are always an asset.

And knowing about the company as stated above is very useful as well.

again, good luck!

.ins

I kind of wonder if I answered the little "mini-interview" I was given over the phone wrong... just two little things that shouldn't have been answered with a question, I suppose. aggh.. I hope interviews are good for clarifying everything else.

And yes, I think this is an open house as it was described so there should be some other people being interviewed as well.

Thank you very much slightlybent; your words mean a lot to me-- I feel a lot more confident now!

A great question you can ask is What are their expectations? If there is any sort of info on the company read up on it and so that you can slip in some knowledge of the company while interviewing. You can ask about their stand on work/life balance.

If it gets down to pay and benes you can ask about the benefits and how long it takes until they become effective. You can ask about growth potential of the company or the position you are applying for.

I was thinking of arriving so I'm 8-10 minutes early.

hmmm I think that's actually a really good question I could ask, for the growth of the company and the position. I'm reading some things now to make it more about the position and less about just 'wanting the money,' and that would show I'm interested in other aspects, which I need to figure out how to emphasize. Thanks for that suggestion!

All the above is great advice.

If they ask you questions such as "Tell us about a time you have had to deal with a difficult person" or "Tell us a time you have had to do something you were uncomfortable doing?" always remember to break your answer into 3 parts,

The situation. What you did. What was the result.

This interview technique is called Targeted Selection and it is widely used or variants thereof.

Good luck. You'll be fine. Just remember everyone gets nervous at interviews.

That's a very good suggestion, I'm sure I will be asked particularly for this position and my experience.

One thing I'm curious about is how to explain how I left my last job... I was there for several years, but was not fired and didn't quit... When I got a second job and even after that one ended, I didn't ask to go back to my other hours-- They may have thought I was still working at the other place. I never said anything because it was hard with school and the day I was on worked out good.

But then I wasn't on schedule, and I called for hours several times and offering whenever but they just didn't have any. So I never said I quit, and they never fired me. My associate discount still works so I'm still in their system, possibly as employed.

I'm worried about this... my parents have given me a lot of guidance, but I think that was something I should have followed my instinct with and just quit because I knew where it was going.

My mother told me I was basically laid off, but my boyfriend says I had to have been full time for it to be considered laid off.

And I think they're going to ask me about that, and I haven't figured out how to explain =\

And I think they're going to ask me about that, and I haven't figured out how to explain =\

Then you need to work out what you'd say but I wouldn't go into excessive details. Just say study took precedence and you had to cut back on a few things.

Develop a spiel around your career and study so far but don't get bogged down in detail. They don't want to hear long drawn out answers, they'll love short, concise and to the point stuff.

I'm a little afraid though of them thinking college will get in the way with them, too.

I was thinking it over just now and maybe I will explain they didn't have hours, but I was hoping to go back to them when they did but it's just taken longer than I thought... it's been since January, I'd say.

I'll probably say something like that, but it's gotten me worried. I also wonder what they'd say as my reference.

It was tough with them because there were different managers for different things. The manager I last had barely knew me, so for my resume/applications I've put down the department of managers to ask for, or just the company and position with the rest of the contact info.

The managers who knew me and who I worked alongside aren't even there anymore, which really makes it difficult.

For my other job though I've asked if she could be.

Low-cut blouse, a little extra mascara, and you're in.

I kid, of course.

When I was interviewing people for a position at my old office, I never remembered the people that greeted me weakly. I worked in a fairly... robust office, and needed someone who could go with the flow, and wimps would definitely never work out. So be confident. Walk in like you already work there, greet the interviewer with a big ol' smile and a firm handshake and say "I'm xmrth, nice to meet you!" If you go in there, smile weakly, shake their hand like they're diseased, and say nothing unless asked, you'll look wimpy. Maintenance of eye contact is important too.

Confidence is the key! Good luck! You're awesome!

Hi there Martha!

One thing I have learned about interviewing be prepared! Write down all the answers to the questions you think the interviewer is going to ask. The most popular questions are:

1. Tell me about yourself.

2. What are your strengths?

3. What are your weaknesses?- Be VERY careful with your answer there. My safest answer is either delegation or not being able to say no.

4. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

5. Why do you want this job?

6. Why should I hire you?

Also, do not be afraid to ask questions yourself. The interviewer should also be interviewed-by you. One bad thing you can do is leave the interview without asking questions. A few good questions to ask.

1. Why is this position open?

2. How are the employees evaluated?

3. What is the culture here? The atmosphere?

4. Why do you like working here?

Just keep in mind. Many people are nervous before an interview. Just take a deep breath before the questions. You have plenty of time to answer them. Good eye contact and a firm handshake can get you real far. I am crossing my fingers for you. Let us know how everything went.

Some of those questions are so hard, particularly talking about my weaknesses because I'm sure I have some but I don't know what they are.

Maybe I could pick something that used to be a weakness that is growing into a strength, or something such as that.

Those are excellent questions to point out-- I'm going to be thinking about those carefully in the meantime!

Thanks so much for all the help!

*****Know the company - do your homework about them

***** Know the position so any ?? thrown to you are 2nd nature

***** Ask loads of questions and take notes

***** someone said it earlier, but INTERVIEW them. You are going to be working there, make sure they have what you want.

****** Make eye contact

All of the above things make you look much more capable and confident than your cv ever could

Martha,

If you do a Google search on "most popular interview questions...", many good sources of information comes up.

And Tee is right, KNOW THE COMPANY!!!! Research it, ask questions about it during the interview. Do not be afraid to grill them with questions too. Put them in the hot seat as well. You can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks so much for all advice!

I have THE final interview tomorrow. It's been a few weeks, and it's finally here.

I need to bring my resume... and how do I do this-- stapled together, or just cover letter resting on the resume?

This is for a teller position, I figure I'll just say what it is if anyone can give me more tips for the interview, too.

I'm so excited... I hope all goes well. Thanks again for any advice or words of wisdom!