Quick question...most of the time when I run i find myself getting really bad shin splints. Its frustrating because i feel like I can run for much longer but my shins hurt so bad. As soon as I'm done running, they will stop hurting 5 or 10 minutes later. Any clue as to the cause? What I can do about it? Thanks.

Shin splints are basically overuse injuries, caused by improper running technique or practices. It is actually small stress fractures in the tibia, etc. Ignoring them compounds the problem. If you suspect them, you MUST rest and take some time off so your bone/muscle can heal.

My first guesses are either you are using improper shoes (either old shoes that are worn out - you need to replace them every 400 miles (sooner if you are heavier or a little later if you are a lightweight or have a gentle stride) or you are not using the RIGHT kind of shoe for your type of stride (ie motion control, stability, cushioning, neutral) or that you are running on pavement which is one of the worst surfaces to run on.

For the former, go to a specialty running store and have them fit you, they will watch your stride and make recommendations. And replace every 400 miles.

For the latter, mix your running up onto trails, grass, dirt....some pavement is okay, but only on occasion. It does not absorb impact very well.

When you move to longer/harder distances risk of shin splints also increases, but it seems you are still doing shorter distance, so this may not be the cuplrit, though maybe not building your endurance/speed over time and wisely may be. Going from not running to doing all out sprints can cause injury. This is why the run-walk-run-walk routine is advised to beginners.

Muscle flexibility and length/strength is also important. Many runners whom do not stretch or cross train have shortened/tight hamstrings of calves for example, which can cause an uneven balance/pull that can increase likelihood of injury.

Lastly, you may not be getting adequate recovery for your muscles to repair, so you are more prone to overuse injuries like shin splints.

Here, some good advice:

link removed

link removed

link removed

Rest, ice and stretching are the best treatments according to WebMD. The entire article can be found link removed

When I used to play soccer, we would do exercises to prevent shin splints. One of them was while standing up, bring your toes up while keeping your heels flat on the ground. Good luck.

Nike's new Air 360 shoes are all air soul. They're about $150 and will relieve any shin splinting. I'm a cheatskate though and bought some $50 Air 180s. When I run on pavement I get shin splints.

Best thing to do is find a good off pavement trail you can run at. Maybe @ the park or woods.

Or try sometime different from running. Like elipticals if you have a gym membership.

Yeah make sure you take care of these shin slints. I can get worse and it hurts like h***. I had to play a whole season of laccrosse with them and it got to the point where I dreaded the start of each shift cause thats when it hurt the most.

As i understand it they are caused be small tears in the tendons that wrap around your shins, there are a bunch of tendons that criss cross around your shin bone. Lots of rest maybe months, stretching before you move and ice I think are all you can really do.

i do a lot of running on treadmills and pavement. living in the city, there is not to much more around.

sometimes i drive to a track thats kind of nearby, made of some clay/rubber substance which is better.

i think my sneakers are the problem judging by what im hearing here, they dont look old, but are pretty old. plus im not so sure they are made for running. ill have to go get a new pair.

yes shoes are important.

Dont go and buy any BRANDEd shoe because each shoe is designed to accommendate different pronation. (rotation of the foot when your foot hits the ground).

Types of shoes also take into account high arches or low arches.

If you are a runner it is important to invest in a good pair, after all you feet is going to holding you up for the lenght of your life. (Whether in pain or not isup to you)

It is a simple procedure in which you can take at any GOOD shoe shop. They would have a coputer tht would read your stride, which would then recommend the type of shoe that would fit you. You will pay a few bucks extra for the shoe compaired to the competitor shop outside BUT u will not regret it.

It is actually small stress fractures in the tibia, etc.

I don't think that's true. I mean, I've had them, but I'm no expert. They are often mistaken for stress fractures, but they aren't. Normally they come from doing too much too soon after a period of inactive time. Or increasing your work rate too rapidly. Improper shoes could be a source of the problem or running on uneven hard surfaces.

1. Try and find new very comfortable shoes. Get inserts if necessary
  2. Lighten the work load. Take some rest. Ice
  3. If you are running on uneven hard surfaces, try a change of surface
  4. Increase your work load very slowly

Hope I could be of some help!

Good Luck, I know shin splints suck. After I broke my ankle playing soccer, I was out for around 6 months. Then I came back into High School soccer and we do sooo much work and from not being able to do something to bringing on HS soccer is just whoa. So, I got shin splints.

Hey Ctiina - the term shin splints actually covers a range of overuse injuries in the "shins". It is kind of an "old term" that is not specific, and now days if you see doctor they may be able to classify the "shin splints into something further". Since the poster is not actually diagnosed with anything we can't be TOO sure what they may have right now, so "shin splints" covers the bases

Anyway, the term actually covers a couple different possibilities:

1) Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS) - this is the most common cause, and is basically an inflammation of muscles attached to tibia. Also called "medial shin splints".

2) Stress fractures - microscopic fractures of the bone. Signs and symptoms are the same as MTSS, so proper diagnosis is required, though the fractures can be too small to even see on x-ray film. This is what I had when I had shin splints, and yes, they did call it shin splints!

3) Compartment Syndrome - around the bones there is a "compartment" made by the conncective tissues. When pressure inside this "compartment" is large, it can cause pain.

link removed

link removed