So the boyfriend is getting...

a little on the heavy side. I cheerfully tell him that he looks "joyful" -- and I smile about it..

..but to be perfectly honest, it's starting to bug me. I use to be a runner, but when I was about 15-16, had to stop for some health reasons. I'm really trying to get back into it, but I do better with lower impact things (tread mills, etc). He likes to run, but doesn't do it regularly enough. I don't know how to get him to start exercising more regularly, when it's without me.. and we can't afford a gym. I use my folks' pass to a gym through my fathers work, but it will cost 5 dollars for each time he wants to go there, which again is way too much.

I'm really concerned, not so much for looks reasons. I'm more concerned because I see his father in him, and am afraid he will become like that. We are young, and should be in our *prime* -- I'm afraid if he's practicing unhealthy habits now, he will only get worse later in life. I don't want him to have the health issues his daddy has... Goodness, how can I get through to him?

Just plain tell him he's getting fat. Maybe you could have a little fun by tying a cheese burger to a fishing line, and reeling it in every time he tries to grab it. That's just me though! I'm sure he knows you'll love him no matter what he looks like. There's a lot of health risks related to obesity. I would love if my wife told me when I was (if I was) getting fat. This would show she cares about my health.

Well, he's not fat and that's the problem. You can only tell in his face and tummy. his chest is flat, his butt is *tiny* and his legs are scrawny. I only feel running is making the small parts smaller. I want him to center more on the problem areas and just overall keep a more active lifestyle. It's not his eating habits.. he's got a real tough diet (No pop, zero sweets, etc...)

and I've mentioned it, and he's trying to work on it, but he does something like once a week and that's not near enough to fix the problem.

I've been in this EXACT position!! what i did was I told him I was really worried about his health and that I care about him so I was willing to do whatever possible to help him. So I started thinking of solutions, ONE: jog together!! it's free!! do a sport together you both like. or dance. it's perfect weather for that stuff now!! TWO: eat well together!!! don't suggest eating at places where there are fatty foods!! and try to eat healthy in front of him, so he won't be tempted by bad food, and you can share with him, try cooking him food that's low in fat!! anyways.....these are all things I did. But definatly speak tp him about it too, and don't make him feel bad, just show him how concerned for his health you are!

good luck!

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry. A little beer belly and a few extra chins isn't a big deal, except in the looks department. If that's your thing. I'm by no means an expert, so if I'm wrong, forgive me. I think that running burns calories everywhere equally. If he cuts his meals from 3 big ones a day to 4 or 5 small ones, with snacks, and he runs 3 or even 2 times a week, then he should be fine. Don't worry about eating the perfect serving of each food group and counting calories and all that crap. Losing 10 pounds isn't a big deal.

Have you made it a point that you are willing to work right along with him? sometimes people are more motivated if they see someone else making the same type of effort. he may be more encouraged if you're willing to work with him. also, try not to make this a huge focus. it may make you look pushy which could lead to resentment. be patient, show you care, and let him know your concerns.

I don't understand??

You say that he is eating healthy and exercising occasionaly. There aren't many health risks involved in that.

As you get older your metabolism slows down so you put on a bit of weight but its not necessarily bad weight.

You don't want to make him paranoid.

You seem to enjoy exercise so why don't you suggest you both go for a walk together every day. Or have challenges about how many push-ups/sit-ups you can do etc...

what I'm worried about is how these habits are going to bleed into later in life -- he's okay for the moment. He's heavier, but not deathly heavy.. I'm worried about his inactiveness bleeding into later adulthood and not being able to get back on the wagon.

I've tried running with him... I've tried going half on a gym membership, I've tried getting him to come to my gym, I've tried playing football with him in the front yard, I've tried taking nightly walks, I've tried a lot...

I'm just out of ideas...