What are some good excuses to not...

..give your number to someone?

I have a lot of people ask for my number, but my boyfriend gets upset about how many people have it... And I give it out of me just being a people pleaser, but I know it's not right, and I have a couple stalkers, etc, now because of it..

well,that's part of it, i'm a horrible liar, so I want to know some good polite ways of getting the point accross...

because for example this one guy (I'm a tutor for college level math) said he needed help on his homework in a couple engineering courses, and he asked for it to ask me questions, but then started calling "just to talk" -- guys can be so deceiving, and I just don't want to get in those situations.. and I don't get good guys either, in fact the one in question looks like a convict.

I would just let them know that you're in a relationship and that you find it disrespectul to give out your number to other uys, because you would not like it if your BF gave his number out to other girls. Or keep it even shorter "I don't give it out".

I don't suggest lying or giving someone the wrong number because there's a chance you could see them again and that would be very uncomfortable. Plus people can be wacko. If you already have "stalkers" just imagine how someone could act if he/she had an anger issue and was insulted that you lied/gave then the wrong number.

BellaDonna

sadly, that's true.. I just wish I didn't feel like I was burning bridges. I already come accross as being *too good* -- but that's mostly because I'm shy.. stick to the people I'm comfortable with, etc.. it's a messy situation, and it's all the time (any public event, etc..)

Cacain119, I know how you feel. Sometimes when you are nice to people in general, people take it as you having an interest in them so they want your number or to hook up with you, when all you wanted was to be friendly with them. I would just do what the other posters say, just tell him you dont feel comfortable giving out your number and leave it at that.

I do take back my other suggestion. Lying may not be a good idea since if you have crazy people out there who want your number, if you give them a wrong number, they might come and want to get in your face about it.

Jeez, i have the exact same problem and my boyfriend doesn't like it either. What i have done in the past is give them my number but change one of the digits in it lol. It's just depending on who it is though. If your going to be seeing this person in the future then I have told them that I'm involved in a relationship but sometimes that's not the easiest thing to say because you don't want to make it seem like "oh you just want my number because you like me" because that clearly isn't always the case.

I have tried afew things but what i normally end up doing is just giving them my number and if they're interested in me i'll just ignore their phone calls or tell them at that point that I'm already seeing someone.

I guess it just happens to be that honesty isn't always cordial.

a good guy friend of mine "gave" his number to the convict looking guy for the same reason, changing a digit, and the guy ended up following up about it, so it does seem that honesty is the best policy on this one.. I just want to be nice to everyone.. to a fault.

Umm....

I think you should make it clear you have a boyfriend... Like.. You don't have to say "oh, I have a boyfriend" but, in conversation you can bring it up...

I posted a thread about this (giving your number out to the opposite sex if you have a bf/gf... see the "Dating" section)...

It just makes the guy more confused also... If a girl gives me her number, I assume she knows why I asked for it and assume she is interested...