Anyone who has been in labor...

So, I'm due in less than two weeks. Throughout my pregnancy I've had several complications. The doctors warned me that due to these complications, I most likely will not make it to my due date. At around 3 today I started feeling a dull pain in my lower abdomen, but it didn't seem major. I laid down for a while, and it went away. Now it's back. It's not longer painful, but feels more like an intense pressure that comes and goes every few minutes. Could this be a sign that I'm going into labor?

Mia - I've had three kids. The second had complications as well.

Try not to be scared. I know that sounds ridiculous... but most hospitals in the US are staffed with competent doctors. You're in good hands. And luckily, giving birth is something the medical field knows a lot about because it happens so often

The dull feeling definitely could be labor but most hospitals don't have you ocme in until those feelings come and go about 5 minutes apart for at least one hour.

You don't have to wait for your water to break. Mine NEVER did on it's own with any of my three children. It had to be broken by the Dr.'s all three times.

No worries - or little worries any way. I really think you're in good hands.

What were the earlier complications?

I know I'm in good hands. It's just hard not to be nervous, you know? I'm not very good in any type of medical situation. I always fear something terrible is going to happen. You hear all these stories of what it's like and it really doesn't help the situation.

I know you don't have to wait for your water to break, so that's why I was wondering about this. My mom had been in labor with me all day, but her water never broke so she didn't really pay much attention to it. I don't want to go to the hospital for them to simply tell me to go back home though.

I went into early labor when I was about 16 weeks, then again around 25 weeks. When it happened the second time they found that the level of amniotic fluid had decreased by 1/3. I had to spend several days in the hospital. But they sent me home, gave me medication, but oddly enough they didn't put me on bed rest. I've known two other women who experienced similar things and they were put on bed rest, or virtual bed rest, for the rest of their pregnancies.

Oh dude, i totally understand your fear, believe me!

I had to have a ceasarian with my 2nd - worst fear - but it went ok.

Horror stories, i don't know why, but women LOVE to share their horror stories. I guess so they can maybe feel proud that they lived thru something they thought was a pretty horrific experience.

I used to beg people to NOT share their stories with me while I was pregnant because I was worried enough.

Its totally normal to be nervous. Of course...but try not to worry too much.

Hope you can log back on after every thing is said and done and let us all know YOUR story.

Do you know what the sex of the baby is??

Well, I was up for a few more hours last night, and the pressure began to lessen until I could no longer feel it. I havn't felt it since, which is good I suppose. I'm being treated like an invalid though...I'm barely allowed to sit up without somebody helping me! I just want to get this over with now.

I'm having a girl. We didn't want to know the sex at first, but due to the complications, we kind of found out by accident.

As your body prepares for labor you may have braxton hicks contractions. This is very common and not something to be worried about! Its simply your uterus getting the baby into the right position so that you can have a productive labor. Congratulations and good luck~!!!