Rapid heartbeats after sex

I'm a little worried about how I am feeling after orgasaming during sex.

After orgasaming I'm totally exhausted and my heart beats so hard and fast, you can almost hear it. If I masterbate my heart doesn't do the same thing.

Its only after sex.

Am I just unfit? Or could it be a heart condition? I'm 23.

Depending on the level of activity sex can be a highly aerobic exercise. You have a lot of hormones, endorphins, adrenaline, and stuff flooding your body. Its not uncommon for people to have heart attacks during sex. If you get light headed and have chest pain you should see a doctor, even if you feel fine otherwise. It could be an indication of a arrhythmia.

I'm a little worried about how I am feeling after orgasaming during sex.

After orgasaming I'm totally exhausted and my heart beats so hard and fast, you can almost hear it. If I masterbate my heart doesn't do the same thing.

Its only after sex.

Am I just unfit? Or could it be a heart condition? I'm 23.

Sounds like you are doing it right! LOL. Yes, it is an aerobic activity.

Even if I'm incapacitated for 5 minutes afterwards just getting my breath back? Thirsty. And just lying there trying to get my heart back to a normal speed.

Yes it is aerobic, and I usually do most of the work ... I guess it may also be because I take quite a long time on average. I guess 30 minutes of near non-stop aerobics would exhaust me usually. I just figured it isn't the same as excercise. And I've never had sore muscles because of it.

Maybe getting some regular exercise, away from the bed, will help.

Well - it is the same thing as exercise!!! Wouldn't you be out of breath after 30 minutes on the stairmaster? In fact, on some weight loss programs, if the sex is very vigorous, you can count that as exercise time.

maybe getting more exercise away from bed would help, like you said

It's normal for your heart rate to increase during and after sex. Sex is considered an aerobic activity. From a scientific standpoint what is happening is that your sympathetic stimulation from your central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) kicks in. This causes the secretion of hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine from the adrenal medulla to be released into the bloodstream. These hormones bind to alpha and beta receptors throughout the body. In the heart these receptors tell the heart to increase it's force and rate of contraction. This is what is happening during sex and is completely normal. Same thing would happen if you went for a jog. Unless your heart is causing you pain then I see no reason for you to get an electrocardiogram (EKG).

Thanks guys. I was genuinely worried about this. Because I've always felt I had "delayed ejeculation", because it always takes me a while to 'get off'. Possibly a psycological thing, because I can 'get off' through masterbation, alone, much quicker.

I was beginning to think all of this might be a 'symptom' of something bigger and was starting to get paranoid. And recently I couldn't even move after sex, I was so exhausted and light-headed, so I decided to check into it.