a silly question but I have to ask

Hard to say. It really depends on the individual. If they are interested in your sexually, trying to find out if you are available, or to find out about your love life in general.

I got asked this by a work colleague if, `I had a girlfriend?`.

I told her `no` and proceeded to ask her why she asked that question. She replied you are such a nice guy not to have a girlfriend!

I know this girl was not interested in getting a date with me, but curious of my lifestyle, and why I seemed so cheerful.

There was no way we could ever get together as she was waaaay `out of my league!`.

Tyler I agree with you, for very limited circumstances. And of course I would still be friends with a guy who asked me that. I've been asked that question a gazillion times in my life.

OK - not really, but a lot. And some of the guys who've asked are still my friends. One is my husband but others are still my friends. But most of them have confessed at one point or another that they were interested in persuing me.

I'm certainly not saying this is the ONLY reason guys ask girls that question, but the most likely.

ok thanks for the response guys. Its seems like there's a general consensus. Im trying to ask this girl out but some say she has a BF but she never mention him to me, so I want to find out myself but I want to be a little subtle because I dont know if its true or not.

I guess I'm just weird, but I asked a friend I haven't talked to in a while if she had a boyfriend, with no intention of showing interest in her. I followed up with something like 'I would think you'd have a boyfriend.'

Holy crap, that does sound like I'm flirting...Ahhh, I better clear this up tomorrow!!! With this, you can conclude that asking if she has a BF clearly shows interest, unless you're retarded and ask for the heck of it and want to clear it up after.

If you ask a girl in a conversation if she has a BF would that indicate to her that you are interested in her?

Yes, unless the person asking is clearly unavailable. I got asked this once by a married man. And he is definitely not interested in me romantically.