It's a cancer sore (ulcer) in your mouth. Lots of people get them, don't worry.

How can you know this for sure?

Just doing a quick google search for "red bump mouth" brings up a bunch of useful sites.

link removed

"Sores and Bumps Sores on the tongue can be caused by oral herpes simplex infection, canker sores, tuberculosis, bacterial infections, or early-stage syphilis. Sores can also be caused by allergies or other immune system disorders." from link removed

And there are others.

If it's really worrysome, and it seems to be because you're asking about it, a quick stop to the walkin clinic is in order. They can tell you exactly what it is and provide you with treatment if needed.

I bet you were abducted by aliens who injected something through you tongue which left a mark that will stay there forever! Next morning you finger nails will be shorter because they are doing experiments on you. oooooo keep your eyes open! Actually... don't because they can pop you eyes out!

I'm kiding! Just fooling around. I think I know what it is... but I don't know what it is called in english only in portuguese. But Is it sort of white in the middle? If it is avoid things like lemon and salt, because it hurts like a b*tch! it will come out after a while like 4 days. Maybe go to a farmacy and get a cream which you can put on it to make it heal faster. You probably have lack of vitamin C. My mom used to say that you have to get a lot of Vit C to make it pass... so I don't know.

Get better ^_^ remmember! eyes closed!

I suggest if you are worried about it, go to the doctor - we can't see it or diagnose it online, nor are we doctors.

Chances are it's nothing major - it could be a canker sore, or an irritated taste bud (these can sometimes get inflamed and swell), but it could also indicate a more serious infection. I would just wait a couple days, if it's an irritated bud or canker sore it will go away fairly soon, if it's not it will stick around longer.

I think that would probably be a canker sore...but yes salt hurts but it also helps it by draining the fluid out of it....I put salt straight on them, but gargling with salt water is effective too and less painful! It helps them go away faster and prevents other ones from popping up.

It's not a lack of vitamin C itself that causes them (since I get plenty of that with all the fruit and veggies I eat) but rather low immune systems, stress, genetics, poor diet, etc. My mother and brother get them a LOT, I get maybe one a year - usually after I bite my tongue or cheek, one will develop. I did some reading that a canker sore can be a reaction of the body to bacteria etc in that area:

Or

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Canker sores are a common form of . They occur in women more often than men. They may occur at any age, but usually first appear between the ages of 10 and 40.

Canker sores usually appear on the inner surface of the cheeks and lips, tongue, soft palate, and the base of the gums.

They usually begin with a or burning sensation, followed by a red spot or bump that ulcerates. Pain decreases in 7 to 10 days, with complete healing in 1 to 3 weeks. Particularly large ulcers (greater than 1 cm in diameter) often take longer to heal (2 to 4 weeks). Occasionally, a severe occurrence may be accompanied by nonspecific symptoms of illness, such as fever or . Canker sores often come back again in the future.

There may be an inherited tendency to develop canker sores, as they often run in families. There may also be an immune system link. Ulcers may develop in response to a mouth injury such as dental procedures or aggressive tooth cleaning.

Canker sores may also occur at the site of a bite when the tongue or cheek is bitten. They can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, , or ), menstrual periods, hormonal changes, , and similar situations. They occur most commonly with viral infections. They may occur with no identifiable cause.

Canker sores may also occur at the site of a bite when the tongue or cheek is bitten. They can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, folic acid or Vitamin B-12) menstrual periods, hormonal changes, food allergies, and similar situations. They occur most commonly with viral infections. They may occur with no identifiable cause.

Vitamin C, Vitamin B-12 whats the difference (kdg)

Thats good info. I never atually understood these canker sores. Thanks ^_^

Vitamin C, Vitamin B-12 whats the difference (kdg)

Thats good info. I never atually understood these canker sores. Thanks ^_^

Actually when I read it again, it does say could be caused by low folic acid, which you DO get through many Vitamin C carrying things, so perhaps that is also partly where that came from?!?!

I seem to get them when I bite my cheek/inner lip, and then I scream like heck putting salt on it for a day, then they go away. They are just like little blisters, and the salt seems to drain them (as painful as it is). But for some reason I had one last time that stayed around for a week (perhaps as I had a cold).

One of the side effects of chemo is more canker sores/mouth ulcers...my poor mum is getting more of them now. But there is mouthwashes you can get from dentist to prevent them better.

Actually when I read it again, it does say could be caused by low folic acid, which you DO get through many Vitamin C carrying things, so perhaps that is also partly where that came from?!?!

I seem to get them when I bite my cheek/inner lip, and then I scream like heck putting salt on it for a day, then they go away. They are just like little blisters, and the salt seems to drain them (as painful as it is). But for some reason I had one last time that stayed around for a week (perhaps as I had a cold).

One of the side effects of chemo is more canker sores/mouth ulcers...my poor mum is getting more of them now. But there is mouthwashes you can get from dentist to prevent them better.

Why would you bite your cheek/inner lip? You have to eat. You gain nothing from eating your ckeep/inner lip. It's not healthy, exxpecially when you have to turture yourself with salt.

Ai ai, the youth these days.

Why would you bite your cheek/inner lip? You have to eat. You gain nothing from eating your ckeep/inner lip. It's not healthy, exxpecially when you have to turture yourself with salt.

Ai ai, the youth these days.

I'm older than you!

I don't do it on purpose young'un

Unless of course perhaps I enjoy the salt torture....

I'm a hypochondriac for real and even I wouldn't rush to the doctor over a bump in my mouth unless it spread or something.

If I have a medical problem that doesn't immediately warrant a trip to the doc, I look up helpful medical information, whether it is online, my own book collection, or a library. And based on what I find, and my honesty with myself, I will then decide if I should make an appointment or not. I am pretty paranoid about my health myself. I am always looking up the littlest things.

I feel it is unfair to expect the general population to give you a diagnosis. I personally wouldn't trust people that I don't know in an anonomous online community to diagnose my medical problem.

Please do not take this the wrong way. I also feel that it is irresponsible for anyone to give a diagnosis that is not a doctor or another type of medical practitioner. In many places, this is even illegal.

If you take a look at the links that I provided, you will see that a bump on the tongue can be anything from a canker sore to something more serious like cancer. The information provided "red bump on my tongue that hurts" is nowhere near enough to make a diagnosis even for a doctor without looking at it. I'm not saying it's cancer. I'm also not saying it's a canker sore. Only a qualified professional can tell you that. The OP needs to make a decision for herself if she feels its serious enough to see a doctor. She needs to be honest with herself. Based on what she finds, does it LOOK look and feel like a canker sore? Don't take someone else's word for it.

My two cents.

Yep, no hard feelings. It is completely up to a person to decide if they are willing to go to the doctor and if they think it is serious enough. For example, yesterday morning I woke up covered in a red rash that spread rapidly. I completely freaked out and went to the doctor ASAP and found out I'm allergic to the stomach medicine I was taking. *scratches everything*

In any case, if she thinks it's serious enough to post on here, it's probably serious enough in her own mind to go to the doctor about.