EMT needing encouragement to go back to work after Hip Replacement

Hello, I am a 47/f who had a Total "mini incision" Hip Replacement with a Zimmer on Sept. 21/05 I am an EMT who runs Ambulance in my home town and love it. I want to go back to work more than anything. I have clearance from my Dr and the City but need to convince myself I'll be ok. Anyone have any positive comments on a situation like mine?

I assume that you've had physical therapy to warm up your new joint, right?

I'm in nursing school and I have had alot of patients who've had total hip replacements and they go on to lead very productive lives and are quite active.

S2S has a great idea is asking for light duty, as in driving the truck and pushing the stretcher but no real serious lifting if possible for the first few weeks to make sure that you can handle it.

Did you tell your MD what you do for a job and he still OK'd it? Does he understand that it sometimes involves heavy lifting?

How are you with stairs and moderate activity now? Do you do any kind of lifting at home? (boxes, children, anything?)

I was a volunteer EMT with a local fire department for about 6 months. We would only roll on one or two calls a week, but it was still fulfilling. There were a few guys that were physically limited, and they were more active members than I was! The department worked around their limitations. Maybe you could find a volunteer/paid on call station somewhere close to you, until you get better.

Thank's to all of you who have responded to my concern of going back to work after my hip replacement. I have tried to email a thanx back to all of you but am not able to access that page so I will thank you this way.Any more input would be greatly appreciated.I am taking everything all of you said and decided to do ride-a-longs and slowly get back into my job, hopefully without any dislocations lol Thanks again! email removed