Will you marry me?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year now. We have an awesome relationship but I keep getting the feeling where I want to know what direction we are headed in.

We celebrated V-Day early on Saturday because of work/school we wanted to spend the whole day together and that was when we could do it. He bought me a beautiful ring which I love.. But a little tiny part of me is disappointed because I keep wanting him to ask me to marry him. (same thing at Christmas too)

I know it's silly because we haven't been together for that long in the great scheme of things so I just decided to ask him myself which I did kind of. I asked him if he ever thought about marrying me.. And he said maybe sometimes. And then I told him that I'd like to get married 2/29 next year and he said that'd be a cool day and he'd think about it. Then he told me I'd better help him fill out his divorce paperwork. (Because I've done it before.. He's been separated for over 2 years now and neither one wants to salvage the relationship and no, they don't live together.)

Ack! Is that terrible what I asked/what he replied? What do I do now? Do I buy him a nice watch or something in a few months and propose for real after the paperwork is finalized? Or do I just bring it up again? Or do I just keep my mouth shut and wait for him to ask me?

I don't think what you said was terrible. It sounds like you talked about marriage and you were both honest about your feelings on the subject.

My opinion is that now the ball is in his court. I'm a traditionalist in that I think its his job to propose to you.

I wouldn't force the subject by keep bringing it up, but if the opportunity arises, I would talk with him about it.

I Agree Also!! I Posted My Own Issue Here. It's About The Same Thing But We Both Have Kids From Past Relationships And Mine Is Not Even Getting Divorced And He Does Not Even Seem To Want To Eventhough They Don't Want To Be Back Together. It's Fine If You Told Him, It Was Very Brave Of You And He Seemed To Agree, So Now He Knows What You Want. It's Up To Him To Pop The Question With The Ring In Hand And Do It The "traditional Way. Good Luck.

What you said/asked is not terrible! I believe that you have every right to know where things are going, at a certain point in the relationship. I don't think I would of been specific on the date, since it's about the marriage, not the wedding date...but other then that, I think it was fine to discuss you wanting that in your future.

You both handled it well, discussed it, and set up some sort of plan. I would however not pressure him about it, a year IS still quite soon for many people, and especially if he needs to also finalize a divorce. If it comes up again, great, but no leaving Modern Bride magazines all over the house for him to find

As for the asking again, that depends on you as a person and a couple. I am a bit of a traditionalist in that sense, and know my boyfriend would wants to do the asking as well - but I know other couples whom have done the opposite.

Thanks for the advice guys! I guess I won't talk to him about it again unless it happens to come up, preferably when he asks me.

The reason why I mentioned a specific date is because of the whole leap year/leap day thing and I think it would just be a cool day to get married. I agree though, the marriage is more important than the date.

And no, no bridal magazines though the idea is verrry tempting...