My period is late but have PMS

tommyJ

Help!

I have been taking Alesse for a couple of months but stopped last month. I am due for my next period but it seems to be taking a long time to start. While on the pill, my PMS symptoms were alleviated and this month they have started up again - irritability, anger, bloating, etc...

Could it be possible that stopping the pill screws up your cycle? I am worried as I have had sex with my bf and he has "pulled out" but this is no means of birth control.

TommyJ

Yes, stopping the pill will affect your cycle as you are withdrawing from hormones and your body needs to balance out again. It is also possible you did not ovulate as part of coming off the pill which delays your period in most cases or misses it altogether.

However...take a pregnancy test to verify though as there is a risk due to the unprotected sex...PMS symptoms and pregnancy symptoms are often similar to one another. Going off the pill often actually can make some women MORE fertile as they "rebound" in some ways....I know so many whom went off pill and got pregnant right away, or miss a pill and go pregnant....the effects of it are really temporary which is why it needs to be taken correctly!

Why did you go off the pill, and why are having unprotected sex???