Curiousity about signs

Caterina

For some odd reason, I am usually wrong about who likes me. People I have been convinced liked me, turned out not liking me, or not going out with me, and people that I have been convinced did not like me, turned out to like me. The only true indicator I have ever even been able to go on is if they outright ask me, or if they want to spend a lot of time with me...Are there more solid signs of this sort of thing?

I'm sure everyone will tell you different things in replies because each person displays his or her affection in different ways. As a general rule, a person tries to be physically close to someone they're attracted to. This usually means sitting next to or closer to someone in class, walking with them to places and trying to talk to them more. Attention alone, however, does not necessarily indicate interest and from the perspective of the love-blinded person, seeing the difference is difficult.

Another sign is physical contact. In our society today, people usually do not touch each other casually very much when we talk to one another. If a person seems to be making an effort to touch you, no matter how slightly, it could mean that they're interested.

For some odd reason, I am usually wrong about who likes me. People I have been convinced liked me, turned out not liking me, or not going out with me, and people that I have been convinced did not like me, turned out to like me. The only true indicator I have ever even been able to go on is if they outright ask me, or if they want to spend a lot of time with me...Are there more solid signs of this sort of thing?

You are half right. The only true indicator can be found once one person asks out the other. If the answer is "yes" then they are interested. If they say "no" or come up with any number of "reasons" that they cannot or will not go out with you, then they are not interested.

Common signs: touching, making fun of you, laughing, spending time, talking about you to other people, calling you on a regular basis . . .there are more. I'm thinking.

These are things that cause other people to mistakingly assume someone is interested in you romantically. Heck, go look at half of the posts that have to do with "does she like me?" and you will see that on the ones where the person finally asked her out, that she wasn't interested at all.

These things can be present if someone is interested, but they can also be present if the person is not. That's why people get confused with them. As I said, the only sure way to know is to ask the person out and judge their answer based on their actions.

And to make it all even more confusing, there are people (like me!#-o) who, when we have a crush on someone, go out of our way not to show it.

This is also true. I read a story by a guy once who had a major crush on this girl, and one of his friends eventually told her. When she asked him about his crush he steadfastly denied that he liked her! I couldn't believe it! Needless to say, he wasn't going to get her with his low level of self confidence.

Yes! Some people would just try too hard to hide the feelings! #-o

I agree that they may be inconfident. Or they cannot believe there's any possibility that they can actually be the lucky ones to have a chance with their crush...

Of course, there can be more complicated reasons, such as they are trying not to like their crush because they already have partners, or trying to avoid unethical relationship, or simply too timid to start new relationship because they cannot recover from failed ones etc. etc.