Guys - I am interested in your comments.

I have been complemented on my looks and clothes and receive positive vibes when around guys. I take this that they are interested in me in a sexual way. Examples are "you are looking really good these days" and "I really like that top you are wearing" and "have you lost weight" and "Is that new because I really like it on you".

I was talking to my female colleague last week and she said her sister was receiving complements on her looks and clothes, but she told her sister not to 'read anything into it' as the guy was just being nice and wasn't flirting.

This made me start wondering if I am reading too much into things, or am I on the right track?

I think it depends a lot of who compliments and how they compliment. Usually you can tell from their body language. For example, if he seems really eager to pay the compliment, it's a dead give away, definitely interested - because then he wants your attention and he wants to flatter you so that you'd like him....

If you can't read the body language, it's tougher to know. But thumb rule is, usually guys don't bother complimenting people they are not interested in. Or that's what I have noticed.

Thanks for your response - I generally get the above comments from one guy in particular and I am reasonably sure how he feels by his body language, but my colleague put doubts in mind that I too was reading too much into it.

Incidentally, her sister gets similar comments from one guy friend of hers, and I think he is interested in more than friendship as well.

Appreciate your comments and just wanted to know what others thought.

If he doesn't go around complimenting everyone else, and pays special attention to you - that is an indication he is interested in more than a friendship.

Also, if you are interpreting it that he is interested - he probably is.

You could try flirting with him and see how he reacts.

I don't know.

Usually, when I give compliments, I do it when I notice something new about the person. Say she/he got a new hair cut, or is wearing something new, or it's obvious that the other person wants me to comment on the new look. It doesn't necessarily imply anything sexual, even if I am attracted to that person, because I do it to everyone who I feel comfortable having an informal chat with. (So not EVERYONE, but a select few.)

In short it's

1) courtesy/politeness

2) small talk

3) an encouragement, b/c the new look really suits them well, and they should do it more often.

I think every guy is different. I for one only give compliments when I'm interested, but I have to really build up the strength to give a compliment to a girl (i'm shy like that). For example, last weekend my family went up to Tallahassee (we're moving there soon) and we stayed at an old friend's house. I wanted so bad to compliment my friend on the new dress she was wearing (she looked beautiful) but I just couldn't bring out the strenght to say it, simply because I'm not sure how she would react to such a compliment.

So it all depends on the guy. If he's kind of a playboy, don't think too much of it, but if the guy doesn't usually give compliments like that to girls then he may very well be interested.

Hope I helped