Can you get by without uni?? (UK)

Depends what your ambitions are. A high paying job is hard to get without further schooling. Although you can make decent money by doing an aprenticship and learning a trade like plumbing, cooking etc. or something like that. Trades make fairly good money now.

If you don't want further schooling there are still options although you won't be able to make as much as you would with out some futher education whether that be college, university, or a trade schooling. I've heard for women at least the highest paying low income job is waitressing because you make tips on top of a salary. Of course you can get by on that and if you are satisfided with not making a lot of money thats fine.

Really it's up to you and what you want.

Depends on what you want to do when you're 30, 40 or 50 years old.

I dropped out of college when I was 23 and got bored. Now, 30 years later I absolutely regret not finishing. When I attempted to finish my degree years later, I was told the units I had were no longer recognized after 7 years.

You might not use the degree for a career in your major, but you'll have accomplished a goal that will stay with you for life. If you can do it, don't pass it up.

a lot of my friends and i did not go to uni. just like the previous poster said if you are happy not making £100k+ each year then you don't have to go.

as i said i didn't go and i'm now a network administrator for a telephone call centre earning a decent salary for my age. set your ambitions high but keep them realistic.

Well, the thing is university is a good stepping stone to many many different careers, and gives you options later on. For example, I did my undergraduate, graduated in 2000. Been working since then in an unrelated job field, but am making choice to go back to university now and do Law. Not something I could of just done without already having undergrad.

There are also however trade/skill programs, colleges that offer 2-year programs, that all may be a better fit for you.

But don't rule out further education if you have the opportunity - it really does help - I don't know anyone who it has hindered or whom regrets going. And its not just for people who want to make 100K a year, it's also for people who just want regular, decent paying jobs - I don't know many uni grads whom without further education and experience will make 100K - basically that would require furthering your education in medicine, law, starting a business, or a variety of other things.

The thing with university degrees or any other secondary education is they just open doors, and teach you some important skills as well that employers will look for. And they allow you to go further and try more things in life around career options.

To answer your question, nowhere in my opinion. Although some people i know are happy and have good propects without a degree, i personally believe you are better armed with one. In my opinion, you might as well get it over and done with and do the three years. My advice to you would be to do a business degree because with that you can work in any industry in a professional capacity if you wish.

I aren't up for uni because a lot of things scare me:

I'm not good with stress

I'm not good with making course work deadlines

I will get home sick if I don't make it to My home Uni

Debt

money shortage

making new friends

These are the reasons why I don't want to go to uni. I feel scared now.

Laura, these are things I think most of us have to confront when going to a new school, new job, or moving.

Believe it or not though, you do learn, and uni is VERY different then high school, you are there because you want to be, I find it FAR less cliquey.

I graduated from uni 5 years ago now, and am planning on going back next fall to do Law, and I can say I have ALL those same fears you do...about being able to do it, keep up with the work, get in, take on so much more debt all over again, stress my relationship, have time for my training...but I also know it's worth it.

I will say that uni will open more doors....so will college/trade school. You don't HAVE to go to uni, but please do SOME secondary education towards something you DO enjoy. Graphic design, plumbing, science, architecture, psychology - there are SO many options out there, not all through university either.

It is far more stressful to be trapped in a dead end job making minimum wage and be stuck since you can't afford to go back to school, then it is to do 2-4 years of school.

I'm in 6th form college now. I'm doing GNVQ ICT (not saying your stupid or anything but a GNVQ is worth 4 GCSE's) then I'm doing A-levels. I actually fancy being a science teacher.

I haven't picked Science this yr so I'm going to re-sit next yr and do my A-levels for that. but if you really think Uni is worth it then I will certainly go ahead with it.

I'm a very sensitive person and stress and worry so easily, I just wasn't sure uni was for me.

I'm in 6th form college now. I'm doing GNVQ ICT (not saying your stupid or anything but a GNVQ is worth 4 GCSE's) then I'm doing A-levels. I actually fancy being a science teacher.

I haven't picked Science this yr so I'm going to re-sit next yr and do my A-levels for that. but if you really think Uni is worth it then I will certainly go ahead with it.

I'm a very sensitive person and stress and worry so easily, I just wasn't sure uni was for me.

LOL, not stupid, but I don't understand the education levels over there very well, except that I learned from reading Roald Dahl and Adrian Mole books!

If you fancy science, and teaching, definitely uni is a must-do I believe!

Trust me I'm a sensitive worry-wart too (anxiety really should be my first name!) but when you have a goal, it makes things easier. Uni is very different then what you will have done so far. If you don't like it, you can always choose to discontinue it, but give it a try!

Good luck on your A-levels!