Question about Withdrawl method and Precum.

Protex

Hi guys.

Before I start I just want to let everyone know that I am aware of the risks of unprotected sex, I know the consequences etc etc. So do not feel the need to restate them for me.

I am however curious as to something.

I know the 'Withdrawl' method has room for failure because 'Precum' can contain semen. I also know that the purpose for Precum is to coat the lining of the urethra so that the sperm is not killed by the acidity of the urine.

The Precum is made in the prostate and does not come in contact with any semen UNLESS there is semen lying in the urethra, in which case it will bring it out.

My question is then, if you urinate a good couple of times before you engage in unprotected intercourse the Precum then would be free of semen, correct?

My question is then, if you urinate a good couple of times before you engage in unprotected intercourse the Precum then would be free of semen, correct?

Absolutely INCORRECT. Also the withdrawal method has way more than "room for failure": it can be nearly totally ineffective.

I strongly urge you to contact your local health department for serious, factual information about sex and birth control. Best of luck to you AND your girlfriend.

Absolutely INCORRECT. Also the withdrawal method has way more than "room for failure": it can be nearly totally ineffective.

I strongly urge you to contact your local health department for serious, factual information about sex and birth control. Best of luck to you AND your girlfriend.

Where does the Precum pick up the semen if it is released by the prostate?

No, it is NOT worth the risk.

Bottom line is you CANNOT count on no sperm being released. While the pre-cum in itself is not as filled with sperm as regular ejaculate, your body can still release some sperm early that may get a ride..

The failure rate of withdrawl is something like anywhere between 25 and 40%....thats some really big odds to be playing with! Some "get lucky" and don't get pregnant, but its not a game worth playing if you do not want a pregnancy to occur...

Do you know how many girls and women get pregnant every year trying to do withdrawl "as carefully as possible" and yet it still happens? It only takes ONE sperm. That's it!

The only time I think it is "okay" is if used with rythym method - which requires your gf to chart her cycle for months on end, check her cervical mucous daily, take her core temperature to predict the most fertile days, where for that week you abstain completely. And even that is not the safest thing, as sometimes women ovulate more than once, and if they think they are past the danger zone, or its too early...they might find themselves pregnant. It also takes a LOT of discipline on her part and a thorough comfort of her body to examine it regularly and a lot of education.

Ray is absolutely right. Check out her post of last week on the risks of all 'methods' of contraception.

It is not worth the risk, you can read so in the many postings we have on the forum asking 'am I pregnant' or 'could my gf be pregnant'.

In my opinion, the safest way is either to not have sex at all, or to BOTH take care of protection, the man wearing a condom, the woman either on the pill or a decent contraceptive device.

Ilse.