I know a lot of people may not be able to answer this. But, I also know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that know about all kinds of things...

I am working on a Tarot Deck, and I've recently decided to (try to) publish them.

Thing is, I had no idea the amount of red tape that comes with this process. The publisher I am working with just changed their submission policy (again) about model release forms. Now they expect me to get the Social Security #s of all the models I've used. To me this is ridiculous. Most people don't like giving that number out. I don't know all of my models. Some are friends and family, but some of them are strangers who I only met when we did the photo shoot. Now I have to contact every one of them and ask for SS #s. Grrr.

But anyway, now that I've vented a little, on to my questions...

Does anyone know of any free or cheap sources for legal advise? This could be on the web or maybe there are some legal hotlines out there.

Does anyone know a good source for general advise on getting published?

Has anyone here ever dealt with a publisher before? Tell me about it.

Thanks in advance.

CY NEVER EVER PAY AN AGENT AND NEVER TRUST ONE WHO ASKS FOR MONEY

I cannot stress this strongly enough. Agents are supposed to be helping you sell your product cuz they believe it will make them money.

Only pursue agents who are not asking for money cuz then they have an incentive to follow through.

And trust me, an agent is like a lawyer. You want one for representation.

Did you know Stephen King for screwed out of lots of money when he first started cuz he didn't have an agent.

As he said, there are people in this world who will steal pennies off a dead man's eyes (on writing)

You don't have to pay an agent upfront. He'll take a percentage (usually about %10) of what you earn from the cards. It's not like you're losing money, because you didn't have it before.

But since someone already is publishing the cards, you may no longer need an agent. As an agent's job is to find someone who will publish it. If you feel uncomfortable with this person, you should back out and get an agent to help you find a trustworthy company.

I didn't know you could get agents for tarot cards though, I thought that was just books and actors.

I doubt the SS #s of the models would be needed, maybe their permission. Itsounds a little odd, and it'd be better to not take any risk.

Here's a link for publishing books, it may be useful:

link removed

I'm trying to get two romance novels published!

Take advice from me you NEVER pay an agent! They get paid by the publishers.

You need to buy or borrow from a library "The Writer's & Artists' Yearbook" by The Society of Authors £13.99 or "The Writer's Handbook" by the Editor Barry Turner £13.99 CAN $26.95.

On second thoughts give me a little time and I can have a look for you. I've got the book in front of me.

Don't know who deals with tarot cards, however, I would email these for help. They deal with spirituality stuff.

email removed (Based in New York)

email removed (New York)

email removed (New York)

I'm sorry that's all the agents I could find.

Hope everything works out for you.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the info everyone.

The process for publishing a Tarot Deck is the same as a book, (as most decks have companion books that go with them.) Many of the publishing companies who publish books on the Occult also publish Tarot decks.

I am so ignorant about all this stuff (isn't it obvious). I didn't know agents were comission based. I thought they just charged a fee for all their services up front.

I live in England so I contacted Harlequin Mills & Boon but they keep turning me down!

My first one is called, 'The Queen Mother's Secret', 17,000 words (it was my first attempt at writing. It's more like a drama/play than a book unfortunately.) I thought the American people might like it. Should I contact an American Publisher?

My second one is called 'Temptation', 21,000 words. I think it's a bit too advanced for the readers of Mills & Boon most of their clientele are old ladies! It's about a stable girl who discovers she's falling in love with a princess.

I've written a children's book but I'm not happy with it, yet. I've got another idea for a children's book but I have some research to do!

Ideas don't 'pop' into my head. They appear in my dreams or something triggers an idea!

You've got me hooked. I'm dying to know why you've asked me!

PM me anytime.

Deborah