my girlfriend hates my therapist

Finding a truly great therapist in my opinion seems like a needle in a hay stack. 

It’s a job like any other at the end of the day - the majority are going to be quite mediocre, with some being terrible and a small percentage being exceptional. 

I find, it seems, most people have to swap and change at least a few times before they find a therapist that works well with them. Finding one that truly can do good and forward, enlightening work with you the patient seems to actually be the hard part.

I wish you and your girlfriend all the best OP! And hope your therapy sessions help you personally and your relationship! 

All the best,

x

• Thanks 1

You mentioned that you need to get better at setting boundaries. I think that's a really good idea! I've found that different therapists can have very different approaches. Some therapists don’t say much, ask a few questions and just listen. Some say something about themselves to try to relate to their client. For example if they have something in common. I don't think it's 100% bad but it should really be kept to a minimum. Some therapists will also challenge you more than others. Personally I do prefer a therapist that comments on what I'm saying and challenges me. Rather than just sits back and listens. I don't want them to just be quiet or only repeat what I say. But that's just my personal preference.

I think it's fine to set boundaries with your therapist. If you like her overall but you would prefer she didn't talk about herself, it's fine to say that. You’re paying her money so it's your choice how to direct your therapy. As long as it's appropriate. But remember also that it's up to you to do this and not up to your girlfriend.