She asked me why I like her - is this a sign of interest?

Kawhi

I'm a 31/m who recently met a 21/f. I am from Australia and she is from South Korea. We met in Japan while on holiday.

We clicked well and hung out for most of two weeks. I made some fairly obvious attempts at flirting so she knew I liked her. She never really flirted back, and at most would just say I'm cringy. I sensed some opportunities to kiss her but I was afraid of rejection.

When it was time for her to go home, I went to the airport with her. Just before boarding her flight, she asked me why I liked her. She was looking at me intensely from eye to eye, and I saw her lips move a lot. I think she wanted me to kiss her, but I was still too afraid.

Was it a sign of interest for her to ask me why I liked her? She was always a coy and private type of person who would never reveal her feelings first, so I wonder if her bringing up the topic was my invitation to express my desire for her?

46 minutes ago, Kawhi said:

Was it a sign of interest for her to ask me why I liked her?

It's hard to say. It might be, or it might have just been her fishing for compliments. 

46 minutes ago, Kawhi said:

I wonder if her bringing up the topic was my invitation to express my desire for her?

How did you respond to her question?

It seems that this would be difficult to launch anyway, with you two being so far apart geographically. 

3 hours ago, MissCanuck said:

How did you respond to her question?

I wasn't prepared for her to ask that, so it's all a bit of a blur unfortunately. I just remember starting with "I feel this connection with you..."

6 minutes ago, kim42 said:

Did you exchange phone numbers or social media? She seems very shy and reserved.

I have her on whatsapp, that is what we used to communicate when we were in Japan.

I wouldn't say she's shy, but she's the type to say no to everything even if she wanted it. For example I might ask if she wanted me to buy her some food, and she would say no. Then later she asked if I could get her some food. Or another time I asked if she wanted to go somewhere and she said no. I could tell she did so I bought the tickets and then she admitted that she actually wanted to go.