I'm about to move out but my budget makes me scared. Can you help me?

Yeah, the $1000 washer/dryer was the most basic one they had. 

I'll get a new mattress, box spring, and sofa. (Not sure a cheap place to find a good new sofa, though.) I'm sure I can find a good used desk somewhere, same with a chair. Then a new bed frame from IKEA won't be too bad. (Right? Lol.)

Have you looked at Walmart?  Do you have a big lots or other overstock type stores near you? Sam's club? Discount furniture stores?

Shop around. Tell the salesperson you are price shopping around. They can clue you in on upcoming sales. Many furniture and mattresses stores have sales around holiday weekends, like labor day...

How is your credit? They also might offer free financing for so many months as long as you pay it off with in the designated time. Do this and make sure you pay it off in the timeframe. That's a great way to use someone else's money for free. 

You can buy a basic metal bed frame from the mattress store. You can think about head and foot boards later. You even craft something up to make a pretty head board look....

The washer and dryer are a 5th of your budget. I would wait on those. 

Look at whatever you are doing as temporary.  you are renting an apartment. Your first one.  Things are pretty loose as far as what will be in the long term.

Once you move in, you'll know better.  if you window treatments, rugs, etc.

You may find you stay there for the first lease term and decide you want move for any number of reasons. Then you'll have to adjust to wherever you go.  You know what I mean? Save as much money as you can. 

31 minutes ago, Lambert said:

Have you looked at Walmart?...

Definitely viewing this as temporary. In a year, I might get a in-person job somewhere else, might want to move states, just another apartment, etc. 

Washer/dryer are only a 10th of my savings budget, if that's what you mean.

Thank you for the rest of the ideas, especially the stores rec. Totally forgot those. Duh.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Definitely viewing this as temporary. In a year, I might get a in-person job somewhere else, might want to move states, just another apartment, etc. 

Washer/dryer are only a 10th of my savings budget, if that's what you mean.

Thank you for the rest of the ideas, especially the stores rec. Totally forgot those. Duh.

OK so this was 1994 but when I moved out and bought a TV and a microwave I think and other stuff from one of those big box appliance stores like Best Buy I remember telling the salesperson - look, I'm here to buy more than one (appliance/device) -so is there any way you can give me a discount or throw in the extra warranty for free, etc - if you're spending $$$ people may be willing to work with you especially if they are working on commission (and yes, they did).

1 hour ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Visited IKEA yesterday and had the same opinion. But my experiences with Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp in the past has been horrible. I don't know where else to find furniture. Goodwill? Thrift stores?

I visited Home Depot yesterday and saw a full washer/dryer set for $1000 total. Nice.

Furniture and appliance warehouses and clearance centers.  Google to find some near you.  Also stores like Tuesday Morning, Home Goods, Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshall's.  Those stores have "last year's" styles at deep discounts.  Who cares if they originally were sold last year?? It's not like someone will come into your apartment and say "I need to leave, your sofa was obviously originally manufactured last year and I can't tolerate that"!

I highly discourage from shopping at Goodwill.  Those things are just stuck in a warehouse somewhere until they're put into a store.  I don't think they even clean them or if they do it's just a perfunctory cleaning not a deep disinfecting.

Like I mentioned before I bought my "scratch and dent" fridge at a clearance warehouse.  Only paid about $125 for it and they delivered it to my home.  Same with my mattress set, I bought it at a clearance store for a low price. I had a friend with a truck deliver it for me.  Bought my sofa from Wayfair (GREAT website, lots of choices and price ranges) and my wingback chair from Amazon (only had to put the legs on, the rest was assembled), also my TV from Amazon.  Low prices for all.

Also, sometimes friends and family are getting rid of stuff because they don't have room or they bought a new fancier one.  I gave away my French press because I had two of them.  Brand new, still in the box. Sold my TV to a friend for $25 because I'd bought a bigger one.  And my friends knew I kept my stuff clean.

Hope some of these ideas are helpful!

17 hours ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Ok. It seems like you are overbuying.  Buying major appliances for an apartment makes no sense.

For example, you can use a laundromat or do laundry at your parents. You also don't need every kitchen gadget out there. Stick with the basics at first. Stuff you can easily afford, actually need and can easily move. Also keep looking at apartments perhaps something with appropriate amenities like a laundry room. See what is included such as heat, hot water, ACs, appliances, parking, etc.

This is your first place so don't spend on too many appliances gadgets and gizmos.  Where there's clutter, there's debt. Economics 101.

• Like 1

I moved into a big townhouse and bought all kinds of things to furnish and decorate. I ended up relocating to an apartment that was less than half the size. I left behind and/or got rid of hundreds of dollars worth of things I'd bought. All brand new things, nice things, that I had no room for. Many more things are in storage boxes at my son's home. Total waste of money.

So I agree, don't mass buy. Buy the basics first and only buy more if you really NEED it. 

• Like 1
On 7/23/2022 at 7:03 AM, Needinghelp101 said:

Yeah, the unplanned expenses is what has me worried. I'm looking at a place with 1170 rent (but with more bad reviews -- eek!) 

having recently semi retired, I had to sit down and do this.  I've revised it over and over.  And YES, it's the unplanned expenses that throw you off!  In a very big way.  I  never really noticed them until I had too, now.

Add in gifts, because there seems to be a birthday every time I turn around. Consider the cost of Christmas (if you celebrate)  Do you ever plan to travel?  Even if it's a weekend getaway.  Medical copays, prescriptions, deductibles. Taxes, if you have to pay. My newer oven just stopped working!... and so on. 

"Unplanned"  Sooo out of the box I can't list them all.  But they definitely effect my budget.  Add into your budget a line amount for *unplanned.  

Lastly, felt the same way about IKEA.  But I find that over the years, the quality has improved.  Considering it likely won't be your "forever" it's a good affordable option.  

I'm willing to buy a washer/dryer. Too far from my parents, no on-site laundry centers at my options and laundromats are inconvenient for me. I'll look at clearance warehouses to see if I can get one for a few hundred less. 

Unplanned expenses? This budget is getting tighter and tighter...

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I'm willing to buy a washer/dryer. Too far from my parents, no on-site laundry centers at my options and laundromats are inconvenient for me. I'll look at clearance warehouses to see if I can get one for a few hundred less. 

Unplanned expenses? This budget is getting tighter and tighter...

I've seen many many posts on my moms groups about washer/dryers that don't work/break and require costly repairs.  Wash and fold places often pick up -it's worth it for one person.  

I don't think you need to have hundreds budgeted each month for emergencies. If you have savings and contribute to them each month you'll likely be fine. Just be sure to have options. Car breaks down? Be able to spend about a hundred a day for a rental, buy car insurance that covers a rental car or see if the dealership has loaner cars. If it's a big expense like transmission or alternator, see if it's worth repairing or if it makes more sense to buy a newer car. Also, pay off your car if you can. Having that extra $225 each month helped me a lot when I paid off my car. Contribute to your company's HSA plan to help with medical expenses. I have one that has a total of $350 available each year for co-pays and medications. If your medical insurance has a deductible be sure to have that amount saved. And don't try to go super cheap on medical insurance. Buy the best plan you can afford. I had to have surgery a few years ago. The bill for the surgery was $70,000. I paid $150, the rest was covered by my insurance.

I find that car and medical tend to be the biggest and most expensive emergencies. If you save some each month I think you'll have those things covered.

Just wanted to add, be careful with laundry services. The laundromat I used to go to had wash and fold services. I saw the worker dropping clean laundry on the floor (including underwear!) and simply picking it up and putting it back in with the clean laundry she was folding. She didn't re-wash it. That would bother me. Also didn't see her washing her hands before handling clean laundry. I know I'm excessively sensitive about those things so it might not bother you!

26 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

This budget is getting tighter and tighter...

Look at studios as well. Less stuff to buy and it cuts down on rent  Forget the glossy brochures and keep looking for options that suit your needs as well as have the features you want. For example many places have "selling points" such as pools, clubhouses and gyms that no one uses.. Particularly if you install a washer/dryer expect your electric and water bill to skyrocket. You have the luxury of time and some money in the bank so take your time choosing before you sign anything.

6 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

A young couple I know just moved from an apt to renting a home.  They purchased second hand washer and dryer and they work fine.  I get it's a gamble.  But it worked out for them.

The problem is right now repairmen/women are in short supply so if it does break -like midcycle - out of luck for awhile.  Some buildings supply them (our does) or you can lease them (we used to before they were supplied) and then the leasing company does the maintenance/repairs.  I still say with just one person it's not worth it.  

6 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I am too! Laundromats in my area are gross and wash and fold are another monthly expense I want to avoid. Doing my own laundry in my own apartment is one comfort I'm willing to pay for.

Car's paid off.

I agree, if I had hookups in my apartment I would absolutely purchase a washer and dryer and do laundry at home. There are energy efficient and low water machines you can buy. See if there are natural gas lines in the apartment as a gas dryer is less expensive to use.

I wouldn't gamble on a used machine that someone is selling. They're getting rid of them for a reason. It's not usually because they work just fine even if they say they're in "good condition". However, some appliance places sell refurbished machines. Those at least have been worked on by trained technicians and often have warranties.

14 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I am too! Laundromats in my area are gross and wash and fold are another monthly expense I want to avoid. Doing my own laundry in my own apartment is one comfort I'm willing to pay for.

Car's paid off.

Look into Rent-A-Center. You can probably rent a lot of high quality stuff without the headache of shopping/buying, hauling and re-hauling when you move. Especially appliances. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Look at studios as well. Less stuff to buy and it cuts down on rent  Forget the glossy brochures and keep looking for options that suit your needs as well as have the features you want. For example many places have "selling points" such as pools, clubhouses and gyms that no one uses.. Particularly if you install a washer/dryer expect your electric and water bill to skyrocket. You have the luxury of time and some money in the bank so take your time choosing before you sign anything.

Yeah, I ignore apartment amenities. I'm never going to use them. 

It's a balancing act. I want a clean, safe, responsible place. Reviews show me that is NOT the majority of apartments, studio or otherwise. I'm also lucky to move during one of the worst price gouging periods in history. Housing today is HORRIBLE.

Hi Needinghelp10, you didn't mention craigslist when looking for used things, that can sometime be a decent choice, or it has been for me from time to time.   Especially if you live in a metro area, and things you need that are probably okay to buy used (IMO) (like tables, lamps, dressers, and so on, things you can easily wipe down with disenfectant), are available nearby, so you don't have to spend a lot of time driving to go see.

25 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Look into Rent-A-Center. You can probably rent a lot of high quality stuff without the headache of shopping/buying, hauling and re-hauling when you move. Especially appliances. 

I went to rent a center. Their so called "90 days same as cash" ended up being $350 for a twin mattress set! I bought a new set at a discount warehouse for $150. 

It's worth looking into but pay attention to the fees and interest they charge. The price at the bottom may end up being more than buying outright would be.

Also keep in mind their stock has been used by multiple other people. Who knows how well they took care of them!

22 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Yeah, I ignore apartment amenities. I'm never going to use them. 

It's a balancing act. I want a clean, safe, responsible place. Reviews show me that is NOT the majority of apartments, studio or otherwise. I'm also lucky to move during one of the worst price gouging periods in history. Housing today is HORRIBLE.

I've been using Realtor, Zillow and Trulia. Also try to get a link to the local MLS page. Like I mentioned earlier, my best experiences have been when renting a condo and townhouse from a private owner. They supplied everything including all appliances and were very responsive and proactive with maintenance and repairs. And the rents tended to be less too.