Pregnant cat not eating & vomited.

Guest Anonymous

I feed & provide shelter to stray cats around my neighborhood (which has no veterinarys whatsoever) and of the two pregnant cats there has been one pregnant for about 6-8 weeks now. I can’t afford to regularly take them to the vet unless they seem sick but I do the best I could. I have mentioned some key points at the end of the next paragraph (please read). 

She has been eating regularly and was very playful until 3 days ago. She slowly started to lose appetite & started hiding. I researched this and I also called a vet yesterday and he said it is normal and that she may be getting into labor soon. So I provided her with a warm, quiet private room but she hasn’t given birth. So the next day I tried feeding her and she wouldn’t eat and keeps hiding out. Just a few minutes ago I saw her vomiting severely. Something very light yellow/white foam came out. She’s been sleeping/resting the whole day  & hiding. 

Somethings you should know:

a) in my country we do not have animal rescues, adoption agencies or payment plans for pet costs just in case someone suggests these 

b) I have called several vets but I’ve gotten different advice. (One says a dead kitten maybe trapped & needs to be surgically removed but I don’t understand how she survived for 48 hours if that was the case? Another says it may be a viral infection and that he can’t give her anything except glucose & vitamins because she’s pregnant: this leaves me more confused)

c) I will get them all spayed, I’ve been planning for it for a long time, will be able to soon. 

d) Most importantly, Yes I will take her to the vet but it is super late now (I live far from the city where there are no vets) & I’m looking for advice on what to do for now or on what could possibly be the case with her from someone informed or from someone with personal experience. This could really help

5 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

I feed & provide shelter to stray cats around my neighborhood. I can’t afford to regularly take them to the vet unless they seem sick but I do the best I could.

Be responsible with stray animals and bring them to a veterinarian. If you can't afford it, be companionate and let them stay in adopted homes. 

• Confused 1

The problem is that no vet can tell you what is actually going on with her without seeing and examining the cat.

It sounds like she is vomiting bile because her stomach is empty. The cause of that could literally be anything and without further exams, no vet can tell you what it could be. You are getting all kinds of answers and suggestions because no vet can tell you anything without seeing the cat and doing a proper exam. They are just providing guesses.

General rule of thumb is that if vomiting/loss of appetite lasts for more than 24 hours, you need to take them to the vet and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. BUT if vomiting is severe and frequent, you need to take them to the vet immediately. Either way, if it's been 48 hours, you need to take her to the vet at this point.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Clearly veterinarians don't give out free guesses over the phone, so you're just googling. Take the cat to a veterinarian. That's your answer. Not google or forums.

lol

8 hours ago, LootieTootie said:

I echo DF... you don't know unless you bring her in to a vet. Sometimes a big stomach can just mean a bloated stomach from eating something harmful.

13 hours ago, DancingFool said:

The problem is that no vet can tell you what is actually going on with her without seeing and examining the cat.

It sounds like she is vomiting bile because her stomach is empty. The cause of that could literally be anything and without further exams, no vet can tell you what it could be. You are getting all kinds of answers and suggestions because no vet can tell you anything without seeing the cat and doing a proper exam. They are just providing guesses.

General rule of thumb is that if vomiting/loss of appetite lasts for more than 24 hours, you need to take them to the vet and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. BUT if vomiting is severe and frequent, you need to take them to the vet immediately. Either way, if it's been 48 hours, you need to take her to the vet at this point.

Thank you! I took her right away and she’s doing much better now