When we've been really in love with someone for quite a long period of time and then it doesn't work (we broke up), we often say something like "ohhh I'll never find anyone better than him/her", or "I'll never feel love like this anymore."

But then, after sometime, we heal, move on, meet someone new, and fall in love again so strongly, the same as before, or possibly even stronger.

I am sure this has happened to a lot of you right? Why? Why do we say what we don't mean (about never feeling a love so strongly like this anymore). I'd like to know your thoughts.

I think it is because love is such an intense emotion and when things don't work out, the pain associated with a break up is also very intense. I think first, we can't imagine feeling the same kind of feelings for another human being as the one we're with, second, we don't want to waste our energy to again be put through the anguish associated with a break up, and three, we can't picture being able to let go and move on. I am there right now and just broke up with someone I love and care for very deeply but I don't get the same thing back, so I speak from my heart and from my own experience. I hope some day to find someone who loves me the same way I love this man. That's what I'm holding out for. I know I deserve to be loved too.