How long to be “patient” with him

Not-so-sure

I am in a very interesting part of a relationship with a new guy I have started dating. I am not sure what to do. 

I met this guy around the middle of February. We have been dating, but moved very fast. Everything came to a halt about 2 weeks ago when he was faced with a family crisis. We also had a big fight that same evening. But we were able to work things out. 

He is really struggling with the family issue and has asked me to be patient with him. I have been and will continue to be, but how long is being “patient” appropriate? 

We do really care for each other and I am hoping he’ll come around when things calm down again, however long that is. 

i am not sure what to do. I worry I will never see or hear from him again, and I also worry that he won’t come around. I know this is anxiety, but because I really like him, the anxiety over it is overwhelming. 

The rational side of me knows there isn’t much I can do at this point and my being anxious about it will only serve to make things worse. 

But for the mean time, how do I proceed with this? I told him I will continue to be patient with him. I know he will soon travel to spend time with the family member the crisis happened to. I worry he’ll be gone a long time, or that he won’t come back. 

But, I want to help him right now. I do want to be there for him and I wish I could get rid of this deep anxiety that I have about never seeing or hearing from him again. He does seem to really care for me and I think he wants to be with me. I am hoping that things calm down soon. 

What do I do about this and what are the boundaries of “being patient” with him? 

Archived