Is it normal to still commit mistakes during my first month of the job?

Qwerty55

It's a catch-22. The more anxious you are the more absent minded you'll feel and the more mistakes you'll make. The more mistakes you make the more anxious you'll feel. While it's normal on your first job or in a new job to feel like it's a learning curve, if this anxiety is this paralyzing, it may be time to seek therapy to help guide you through excess anxiety.

Therapy may also help you identify any perfectionist or obsessive habits that may be self-defeating. It would be best to address this promptly because as you know, it's not this job or any job for that matter, it's your mind playing tricks.

And every time I commit errors, I feel like my anxiety after work is worsening. I overthink a lot. Right now, all I can think of is that did I do my task right? Then I also forgot to attach one document in a booklet and now it's missing. I don't know if it's really important but my fear keeps eating me. All I can think of is my job mistakes. I really wanna remove the anxiety I feel after work. I just feel disappointed at myself that I find it hard to avoid errors.
  • 4 weeks later...

I can totally relate, I was and still sometimes second-guess myself at some points. We always strive for perfection. Nobody wants to be on the hook for a mistake that was made, look like a fool or seem like they're inadequate to do the job. I'm with the consensus of people on here, mistakes happen and all you can do is learn from them and move on.

If you keep focusing on it, the guilt and uncertainty is going to eat you alive and you're going to cause yourself even more anxiety issues.

Unless you're not human, more mistakes are bound to happen. If the person doing the hiring didn't see something in you they could build on or didn't think you could handle the job, they wouldn't have offered the job to you.

Archived