My boyfriend and I broke up for 2 hours and now he wants us to get back together

petrichors

Gosh, I've posted on here so many times I'm sure at least one of you guys know me by now. :suspicion:

I'm 20 years old. My ex-boyfriend is 24 years old. We've been together for 5 months, arguing on and off for two primary reasons:

1) He is unemotional and often times rude and impatient with me. We've already talked about this, but I think that it's just his general nature and not much can be done about it. He does try to be more gentle, but I still feel like he's forcing a change that can't be made.

2) His mom is a devout Christian and is opposed to him dating me because of a prophecy told by some pastor, so I literally have no way to spend time or hang out with his family without getting ripped on - which is actually a big deal to me because I value having a good relationship with my boyfriend's family.

So, we decided to call it quits today and returned each other's belongings. However, throughout the time we spent saying goodbye, he kept telling me that he still loved me and that if we were meant to be, we'll be in each other's lives again. He also told me to keep the gifts he bought me. We ended the break up by telling each other that we still loved each other, but understood that it probably wasn't going to work out.

Literally two hours later he calls me to tell me that he got into a huge argument with his mom, basically telling her to f*ck off and stay out of our relationship. He then says that this was part of his "break up plan," as in he only agreed to breaking up because he wanted to make sure he could get rid of all the external influences and get rid of some of the pressure before we get back together again - because otherwise, he would be incompetent at making me happy. He also mentioned that he left a lot of "holes" throughout his say of the break up, meaning that he never definitively said he wanted to break up - but rather needed time away or something of the sort lol (?).

Right now, he's asking for a second chance to make things right, and promises that he can be the person I need and also protect me from his mom. He promised me that if things don't work out again, he will stop contacting me forever. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I give him a second chance?

Literally two hours later he calls me to tell me that he got into a huge argument with his mom, basically telling her to f*ck off and stay out of our relationship. He then says that this was part of his "break up plan," as in he only agreed to breaking up because he wanted to make sure he could get rid of all the external influences and get rid of some of the pressure before we get back together again - because otherwise, he would be incompetent at making me happy. He also mentioned that he left a lot of "holes" throughout his say of the break up, meaning that he never definitively said he wanted to break up - but rather needed time away or something of the sort lol

That makes zero sense.

I would not bother trying again. As we told you in your last thread, this relationship doesn't really sound like it's going to go anywhere. His mom is not the only problem, either.

Anyone who can drop you and then turn around 120 minutes later asking for you back and claiming this was all part of his "plan" is not mature enough for a serious relationship. It won't work out, OP.

Unfortunately all you've done is argue about religion since you started dating . This is too much drama for dating 5 mos. He has no respect for you. It sounds more like he's trying to recruit you into a cult. Excellent you finally ended it. Talk to your friends and family about the insanity he was trying to inflict on you. No one devises all sorts of elaborate "breakup plans". Sadly from your description he is either quite abusive or suffering from a delusional disorder.

1) He is unemotional and often times rude and impatient with me. I still feel like he's forcing a change that can't be made.

He then says that this was part of his "break up plan," as in he only agreed to breaking up because he wanted to make sure he could get rid of all the external influences and get rid of some of the pressure before we get back together again - because otherwise, he would be incompetent at making me happy. He also mentioned that he left a lot of "holes" throughout his say of the break up.

He sounds really immature he's 24 but acts like an 18yr old. He's blaming your relationship on family and religion. He still does not treat you right. Your in to the relationship just 5 months, but there is a lot of drama going on already. Best advice is to start a new relationship. Also, once you decide to leave him, he will still be trying to contact you. But don't go back to him. Staying with him its just not healthy.

Archived