Husband's new name

Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now and was wondering if anyone here could help.

So me and my husband got married this year. When I met him he introduced himself to me using his legal first name and that's the name I've used for him everyday for about 6 years. He uses his first name at work as well however, everyone in his family and all his close friends call him by his middle name. When I became aware of this it didn't bother me, it was a bit weird that I was the only one who would use his first name but it was fine. A little before we got married he said he was thinking of changing his name legally to his middle name. I'm in total support of this and shortly after we got married I decided to start using his middle name to address him, since I felt he was more comfortable with it. He seemed happy that I would do that in order to show my support of his decision. It's been a few months and it has been a bit difficult for me to adjust to using this new name. When I look at him, I think of his first name not his middle. I've been using his first name for so long I'm not sure how long it will take to get used to it. I'm hoping that anyone here could offer some advice on how to become more accustomed to using his middle name.

Thank you.

It may take a while to get used to it but eventually you will .

My husband’s family never uses his adult name as I call it. The use his little boy nickname and always have. I changed from using my legal name to a shorter version of my name about 30 years ago . Initially my mother didn’t like it but now she just addresses me by the short version of my name .

Archived