Moved and lonely

I moved to my husband's hometown, where I don't know anyone and it has been so hard. He has friends and family here and I don't know anyone. I work from home, so unable to meet coworkers. Other than work, I am with my kids all the time. He hangs out with his friends or coworkers all the time now. Sometimes I tag along with the kids, but then my focus is on them. It's been hard trying to get to know the other wives as they all have their own groups of friends or are busy with their families. I've never felt so lonely in my life. He doesn't get it at all the huge sacrifice I made for him and how depressed it's making me. I'm in such a rut.

Is it a large or small home town? Are there any community groups that involve children and their mothers where you could spend time and get to know some people? If it is a larger town city, there might be a meetup.com group in the area doing something you enjoy and you could arrange with your husband to look after the kids one or two nights a week. Church groups also perhaps, even if you are not religious.

I moved just over a year ago after 26 yrs in the same place so I understand how you feel but it's up to you to get out there and meet people. I felt isolated in our other home as it was a 100 acre farm and neighbours were few and far between. It was a lonely existence a lot of the time. Here, I am in a small rural area, and have neighbours which was hard to get used to! I push myself to get out there and meet people, I will talk to almost anyone who talks to me and you need to do the same. If your kids are in school, volunteer there and you will meet other parents that way. Join a group that interests you. Check out meetup.com. I'm a bass player and am looking to start up a band around here, which is another way to meet people. Check out night school.

You have to put yourself out there, people probably won't come to you especially if they dont know you are there.

Is it a large or small home town? Are there any community groups that involve children and their mothers where you could spend time and get to know some people? If it is a larger town city, there might be a meetup.com group in the area doing something you enjoy and you could arrange with your husband to look after the kids one or two nights a week. Church groups also perhaps, even if you are not religious.

There are a few mom groups and church groups, but they meet when I work. I'll check out meetup though, I had never heard of that-thanks.

Archived