Unfortunately she sounds bitter, jealous and neurotic. Is she unhappy, divorced, clingy? This is clearly her problem not yours. Why is a 27 y/o woman discussing every detail of her dating social life with her mother? That part is your problem.

Jealous... of me? perhaps. I definitely get neurotic vibes from her. She's still with my father, but I don't think she's too happy about it, and I think she is definitely clingy towards me. I have discussed my dating social life with her because I didn't know any better (I thought it was okay to do so at the time). I didn't realize that I shouldn't have been telling her about the online dating thing.

I don't exactly know a way around the online dating thing without getting caught. When I go out to meet these guys, I don't know what to say... She thinks (hopes) I will meet someone in school or at work (although I don't think work is a good idea).

I know I should be focusing more on myself than dating, I'm just getting a little apprehensive about my age.

I talked to her about moving out and she keeps talking me out of it. She asked me if I want to be working at my current job for the rest of my life (I don't). I want to go to school and get a career out of it, but I don't know where I will end up living for the career and I don't want to end up throwing my money away. I guess I need to atone for my decisions. My saving grace is that I will be going back to school in 2017 (I need a portfolio for 2nd year) and during the summers I hope to be working at resorts/hotels and living in the residence.

It isn't so much the moving out that is bothering me, it's the fact that she treats me like I am still in my teens. I came here to see if I was overreacting, I guess I wasn't.

I talked to her about moving out and she keeps talking me out of it. She asked me if I want to be working at my current job for the rest of my life (I don't). I want to go to school and get a career out of it, but I don't know where I will end up living for the career and I don't want to end up throwing my money away. I guess I need to atone for my decisions. My saving grace is that I will be going back to school in 2017 (I need a portfolio for 2nd year) and during the summers I hope to be working at resorts/hotels and living in the residence.

It isn't so much the moving out that is bothering me, it's the fact that she treats me like I am still in my teens. I came here to see if I was overreacting, I guess I wasn't.

The simpler solution is to stop discussing everything with your mum. Make your own decisions .... and talk to friends about things you know your mum will have a problem with (not to mention an odd perception of).

The simpler solution is to stop discussing everything with your mum. Make your own decisions .... and talk to friends about things you know your mum will have a problem with (not to mention an odd perception of).

I think the problem is that over the years I have always turned to my mother rather than my friends.

I had a nervous breakdown a couple years ago and I think that this played some part in it...

I think the problem is that over the years I have always turned to my mother rather than my friends.

I had a nervous breakdown a couple years ago and I think that this played some part in it...

There is nothing wrong with being close to your mother and talking to her but, in your case, I think you need to pick your discussions with her.

I am sorry to hear about your nervous breakdown but now I am wondering whether your mother's rather alarming perception on life may have had something to do with it, giving all the more reason for you to either fly the nest as soon as possible or to keep certain aspects of your life private.

Just do it. Don't tell her. You don't have to tell her you're moving out or what you're doing at all. You need to get out asap.

Archived