Question About Looking for New Job

I am currently an employee of a Recruiting Agency and working at a medium sized company. I am one of the front end developers working on their current website. My company is almost ready to push out a newer version of the website which means the old one will be achieved. I have been thinking that now would be a perfect time to move to another company since I've always wanted to try another company. In addition, as this is my first job, the current website is my only portfolio piece. When the website gets replaced, I won't have anything to show for.

I know that our new website will get launched this October. My final development date for the current website is in mid-July. I want to stay until the final development date of the current website as I am the only front end developer assigned to work on the current website as all the other developers are working on the new website. My company is currently ramping me up on the new website as well, but they have no idea I don't plan on staying.

My thoughts are that I would begin looking for a new job ASAP. I am not very confident in my development ability, and so I'm afraid I will have a difficult time looking for a job. When the employer ask me when I am available to start working for them, I will have to tell them that I will be available mid-July. As I am a contractor, I am not allowed to talk to my company about my career decisions. As a result, I was thinking of letting my Recruiting Agency know that I am looking for a job shortly after I have started actually job hunting. I anticipate that this will be in mid May.

My main concerns are:

1) During the interview process, I maybe asked for references. My only references would be from my fellow co-workers who have no idea I am planning to leave. What should I do?

2) How will doing this affect the relationship between myself, Recruiting Agency, and my current company? I'm afraid my current company will just let me go immediately, or what if I don't find a job before the current website gets replaced?

3) Is my time line realistic? Would employers be willing to hold my spot for a few months?

A bit of background about myself:

I am a chemistry major. Programming was always a hobby of mine, and so I am pretty much self taught through Stack Overflow and Youtube. During university, I made websites for small local businesses (think one page websites for restaurants, museums, portfolios). I am hesitant to use these websites for my portfolio as the code is really really horrible. I have been at my current job for 3 years, and I live in Vancouver BC.

If they are ramping you up to work on the new website and you only have that one website in your portfolio, I wouldn't look for a new job. You have to have more of a portfolio than just one, and you don't want to appear to be job hopping. You can add the new website to your portfolio and explain to people the elements that you did on it.

I am not very confident in my development ability, and so I'm afraid I will have a difficult time looking for a job.

Then stay where you are, and in the meantime, take classes to improve your development ability on the side to make you more marketable if that is what you want. Then, you will have the skills to have more job opportunities.

A one website is not a portfolio and won't cut it. Combined with the fact that it sounds like you lack any kind of solid experience and skills, you need to work hard on gaining all the experience and skills you can possibly squeeze out of this job and stay as long as they'll have you.

Yes, the company can fire you as soon as they know you are out looking. Co-workers aren't really considered acceptable references. Typically they will want to speak to your direct manager, boss, team or project lead. No new employer is going to wait on you to become available in two months unless it actually matches their hiring date. Typically, companies are looking to hire now, even if they delay for their own reasons, they still expect candidates to jump and be ready when needed.

The biggest red flag is your lack of confidence in your skills. A lot of really good employers will not trust your resume or portfolio - they actually just flat out test your skills fast. Either you've got it or you don't. Be sure that you are actively working on your skills and what's needed in the market. You are in a field that's constantly changing you need to keep up to be marketable. It almost needs to be your passion.

Archived