Work, School, Life...Phew!

Hey everyone,

I've got a question for people in their 30s and 40s.

I work full time (typically about 50 hours a week, give or take) as a digital marketing account manager. Starting this fall, I'm returning to school part time (six credits a semester) to complete my degree in Advertising & Public Relations at Penn State (mostly online, but with some tests at proctored centers). In March, my (longtime, live-in) boyfriend and I are going to the U.K. for eleven days just for fun (we're VERY excited).

So I have a lot going on!

My question is this: At the start of 2015, my job started a new initiative of volunteering one night after work as a group, every other month, at a homeless shelter about 45 minutes from where I work and live. We also do quarterly celebratory dinners at very high-end restaurants in downtown Boston (about 45-60 away). And then there are the other random events that come up from time to time (i.e. TWO summer outings).

Once I start school, I'm going to need to reclaim some of that time; I don't want to give up any more of my personal time since work already takes up a lot of my life, and I obviously can't take time from my actual job to focus on school. Is it acceptable to beg off some of these extra-curricular activities? I've been with the company 1.5 years, and I'm very much a team player (there are only nine of us). But something will need to give, and I feel like all this after-work stuff is the least important.

Absolutely! Any decent employer won't penalize you for being realistic about how you spend your time outside of contracted hours... in fact most will encourage you to take time to have a stable personal life so you can be more mentally, physically, and emotionally healthy to do your job while you're at work!

Good luck and congrats! =]

Absolutely! Any decent employer won't penalize you for being realistic about how you spend your time outside of contracted hours... in fact most will encourage you to take time to have a stable personal life so you can be more mentally, physically, and emotionally healthy to do your job while you're at work!

Good luck and congrats! =]

Thanks! I think they'll be reasonable about it. I just wanted to be sure that, on my end, it was OK to ask.

Archived