Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

To Convertible or Not to Convertible - That is the Question (California)

melancholic_too

I'm also trying to keep in mind that the convertible (probably/hopefully a Mustang) will take more gas than a regular car or SUV.

I am an owner of a Ford mustang. They do hold more gas than a sedan or hybrid, but not up to a SUV fuel tank. It's a performance car. If you get a V6 they are very fuel efficient compared to other sports cars on the market. I have driven on a 6 hour trip and only had to fuel up within the first 5 hours. Both the V6 AND V8 take regular test gas.

Avoid Cameros. Awful blind spots and they do not handle well compared to a Mustang. I've driven a friend's SS and was not impressed.

I am an owner of a Ford mustang. They do hold more gas than a sedan or hybrid, but not up to a SUV fuel tank. It's a performance car. If you get a V6 they are very fuel efficient compared to other sports cars on the market. I have driven on a 6 hour trip and only had to fuel up within the first 5 hours. Both the V6 AND V8 take regular test gas.

Avoid Cameros. Awful blind spots and they do not handle well compared to a Mustang. I've driven a friend's SS and was not impressed.

My best friend has a Mustang convertible. We drove it to Key West and it handled well on gas, but right now it's more the cost of the rental. I'll discuss with the desk when I get there and decide on the spot.

I don't know if I'll have a choice on which car I get. It depends what they'll have available. If the choice is only a Chrysler 200 I am going to pass on the convertible anyway. Not my thing and I don't want to pay that much for it. I kind of have a thing for the Camaro though... LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI, ended up not doing the convertible and am glad I skipped it. of the ones I saw 99% had the top up because it was just too cold and windy the week I went. Nonetheless, the PCH drive and California were amazing and I'd go back in a heartbeat - maybe next time in the summer, driving South, with a convertible and grabbing my mom as I believe she'd LOVE the drive.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Archived