Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Unsure of where I should live...

melancholic_too

I wasn't sure where to post this (personal growth or here, so I just picked one). Quickly my story:

As my nickname may indicate, I'm German. Born and raised. I married a soldier at 21, moved here at 23. Him and I moved back and forth twice (each time for less than a year back to Germany, mostly because a lack of a job market for him). I divorced him at 30 and am still happy with that decision (he's remarried so I assume he's also happy). But all this just beside the point. Now that I'm divorced I don't know whether I should return to Germany or stay in the US. Here is my dilemma:

My entire family is in Germany. Everyone (parents, siblings, nieces, nephews...). Germany's social system is simply different (whether you agree with a social system shouldn't influence this discussion, it works in Germany, their economy is strong, so that's all that I want to add here), but I do miss some of it, like being able to be sick (I only stay home when I am sick, but it's nice to know I don't have to fear getting the flu and not having enough sick days), I also miss my vacation time (I used to have about 30 days/year).

I have been in the US for most of the last 10 years. I've gotten used to the American lifestyle. I have a large circle of friends here and, well, I do prefer American men (somehow I never got on with German men, which is also why I ended up marrying an American I guess). It also comes down to a personal preference with men (cough...uhmmm, well, I like my men circumcised...

This summer I will be applying for citizenship and will then, hopefully, be a dual citizen this time next year. I then want to move away from Florida because - it's just too hot. I have been contemplating moving to the West Coast, or back to German/Europe. I'll be visiting more places on the West Coast this year (I've done Seattle, will do California as well).

Any thoughts? Anyone who is also from Europe maybe and wants to chime in? Experiences?

Tine

See, I don't think I'm set on that at all. I do have a hard time when I'm there. I mean, I've been here (the US) for 10 years. LOL. And living in Germany with an American guy...easier said than done? A soldier is not an option again - they tend to want to go back to the US after their tour in Germany is done, which is of course understandable since that is home (not all do this, but most, and it is in their best interest career-wise so I don't blame them).

Archived