Abs exercise question

Hey all! Does anyone know of an excersise that I can do without real 'posh' equipment to exercise my abs? I started of doing crunches, got up to 50 in one set, then I did it on one of those pull-up benches and I can do 50 on that as well. And Im not really finding it hard as such, but I cant really see the muscles!! What else can I do? Im not overweight, (6ft and 10stone 4!) So I dont think they're hiding behind a layer if fat! And do girls really like to see a 6 pack anyway?

Thanks

Dan

a friend sent me this a while back:

Okay, I'll see if I can describe this in a message =) You lay on your back, with your knees up like you're going to do crunches. Then you move one elbow forward, like you're doing obliques and at the same time, you move the corresponding leg straight out, so it works sort of like a "bicycle". Write back if you don't figure it out, but I'm sure you will. It's a real killer. Oh yeah, do four-counts, not singles (i.e. 1-2-3 ONE 1-2-3-TWO). Do about fifty, and you're good to go (25 is good, too, but why not do 50...it just makes your abs stronger). Those and flutter kicks really tighten you up.

Um your abit to yound and wont be that devloped so your muscles wont be coming out.....unles your a big 14 year old then you should be working out.....welll if 50 is easy for you move up to 500.50 doesnt even sound hard and you wont get a six pac unles you got something like 7 percent body fat so....there hard to get but not impossible....keep woking at it

1st off...if your doing sets of 50...your doing something wrong.....if done correctly world class athletes (say Jordan) can only do about 20-25.....when doing them..try closing your eyes, and squeese as hard as you can ....you have to achieve a mind & muscle connection for real results......it's all about intensity within the muscle rather than reps and stuff.

yes you need to put more force behind your crunches, do it with a slow motion, and use proper breathing. You should only be able to get up to 20-25 reps MAX in a set before your stomach starts on fire. You could purchase an exercise ball, i use one, and they're great. You could also check on link removed. they've got some great articles about how to get your abs in shape.

Yeah, I'm taking a core workout class now and ab strenghtening exercises are all about quality, not quantity. It's not a race. Slow, fluid movements followed by holding yourself in the contracted positions for 2-4 seconds, before smoothly moving back into the rest position.

The american council of exercise did a very professional study about the most efficient ab exercises. You would b surprised to know that the crunch is among the last of them and that you don't need fancy equipment to do most of them. The ab exercise that gives the best result is the bycicle movement ab, im not really sure of the currect name. Look up in google for the American Council of Exercise and look under studies you should find it there, they have pictures and all that describe it. They also have really good advice about other types of exercises. Its a very usefull site. Good luck.

1st off...if your doing sets of 50...your doing something wrong.....if done correctly world class athletes (say Jordan) can only do about 20-25.....when doing them..try closing your eyes, and squeese as hard as you can ....you have to achieve a mind & muscle connection for real results......it's all about intensity within the muscle rather than reps and stuff.

what?!?! i do 50 of the things i said WITH weight. If michael jordan can only do 20-25 then he's a softy

also: try only eating 1500-2000 calories a day of healthy food, and resist temptation to eat when you're bored. Eventually your stomach will shrink and you wont get hungry as often. I take vitamins every day and that also helps.

Do pushups too, those are REALLY good. Keep your stomach flexed while doing them, and keep your head up (dont look down). Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

to cooldude1234....trust me if your doin that many with weight...your doin them wrong...your probably employing your hip-flexers rather than your abs. if I do them wrong, I can do them non-stop with weight...but..when done right..I'm dyin after like 15......so trust me, your doin them wrong. and just for your info. I'm a certified personal trainer, with just over 7% body fat...so, I know what I'm talking about.

as well..when doing abs, one of the most important things is the order. always do your lower abs 1st, followed by obliques, then the upper, as well always do some low-back exercises when working abs.