Dating a Schizophrenic?

Lolligirl

My aunt was a schizophrenic....she raised 3 kids and was an RN. As long as she was on her meds, she was fine. When she went off....as they often do...she was manic. If their father wasn't home, the would go to a neighbors house until he got home.

I think a friendship is far different than a parental figure.

My aunt was a schizophrenic....she raised 3 kids and was an RN. As long as she was on her meds, she was fine. When she went off....as they often do...she was manic. If their father wasn't home, the would go to a neighbors house until he got home.

I think a friendship is far different than a parental figure.

Woah, wow. The children would leave to the neighbors' house??? If I'm understanding correctly, that sounds like a sad, stressful situation for a child to grow up in.

The stubborn part of me is telling myself that he wouldn't have such dramatic episodes, he takes his meds regularly, and I've never experienced such an incident with him. He has mentioned blackouts in the (fairly) recent past, but I haven't seen one.

Still...?

Is your baby worth the risk?

The stubborn part of me is telling myself that he wouldn't have such dramatic episodes, he takes his meds regularly, and I've never experienced such an incident with him. He has mentioned blackouts in the (fairly) recent past, but I haven't seen one.

Still...?

When you're a mom to a young child especially that stubborn part of you has to give way to the best interests of your child. You brought a baby into this world -she is helpless right now - tell the stubborn part of you to listen to the mama bear part of you.

You may be stubborn, but the question to ask yourself is this: if he had an episode/the voices told him something and he did something to your child would you forgive yourself? If the answer is no then do not continue this relationship.

Yes he is OK now. But that is now. There is no guarantee he may not have to switch meds/change doses in the near future. That can mess people up pretty badly. And are you willing to risk your child's safety on a few pills?

Essentially what your question boils down to is who is more important to you, a man who you may have a relationship with that you don't know how he will act, or your child. Only you can answer that.

You're all right. My baby is more important than any romantic connection, by far, and I'm not willing to take the risk, no matter how safe he says he is, or how much he says schizophrenia is stigmatized.

This sucks. But I know what I need to do.

Just keep repeating to yourself that you've made the right decision. Good for you!

Archived