My family is having some very significant financial problems that I can not (do not have the ability) to help them with. My father lost his job and my family has filed bankrupcy. They may loose their home and my mom is a wreck.

She calls me at home and work crying everyday. She is ashamed and embarrassed about the money troubles. She is angry at my dad, because he is yet to find a job. She talks about living in the streets and losing everything they have. She also talks to me about how depressed she is and she has mentioned to me on more then one time, that she wants "if she weren't alive" things would be easier.

I am 25 and completely independent... all I can hope is that she keeps this talk to a whisper around my younger 14 year old sister. (My sister has let me know that this type of talk is very loose talk at home.)

She is also "finding god" which recently includes buying a medal and burying it in the backyard.

I am so confused. I try to be optimistic, I try to be helpful, but the bottom line is that I am scared. I am scared for my sister, I am scared for my dad, I am really scared for my mom... and I don't know what to do.

I don't know how to make my mom strong, which is what our family needs. It is so hard at 25 to hear my mom talk this way, and be to the glue that keeps my dad and sister emotionally afloat.

How can I be stronger and at least help my mom become a stronger person, without misguided faith...?

I can kinda relate...my dad was laid off last spring. He hasn't gotten a full time job yet cause he is still trying to work with the union to bump to a diferent position. But he works part time at two separate jobs. My mom was freaked out at first but after a while she relized that no matter what it's gonna turn out how it's supossed to. However, we have had to make some sacrifices. Like my mom had to get a job and is now working about 40 hours a week. It might not seem like it's that big of a deal that she got a job but she also makes all homemade meals from scratch (no hamburger helper or any of that crap) plus she teaches (we are homeschooled) 3 of us 7 kids(the two oldest are married and moved away but there are 5 still living at home). So just tell your mom that everything will work out...it won't be perfect but it will work out. As for your sister, mabey you could do somthing fun with her to keep her spirits up. Like have her sleep over at your place and play games or go to a movie or somthin.

I hope this helps.

God bless.

• 2 years later...

Maybe you could take in your sister for a bit, your parents could try to get jobs. I am sure this will get better, try and be there for your sister, and keep an open mind. Do you have any grandparents that could help? maybe other family members? I am sure they would help in your time of need.

Good Luck, and stay Optimistic!