Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Trouble in school

Guest Isabella2013

Guest Isabella2013

Hi, I don't really know if this is where to post this kind of thing but I really do need an outside opinion. I Cannot focus in class. It's like rubber I try to throw my attention at the subject but it bounces right off. Nothing sticks, math is the worst subject ever. Let me explain a little more. I'll be sitting in class listening to the instructor (Im a freshman in college) and my attention comes in waves. One minute I'll be locked in on what he's talking about and the next 10 minutes I'm lost in my thoughts getting distracted by whatever. I also get this feeling like I NEED to move. But I know that's ludicrous. So I just sit there flexing my legs and tapping my pens, what ever I can do to move. At the same time, the more I give into it, the more I feel the need to move! But this isn't all the time. I can recall some times where I can sit and listen. But only when I am really interested in the subject. Like ceramics in high school compared to history.

Another thing, I can "listen" to someone give me instructions then once I go to do whatever it was, I can't remember any part of what they wanted me to do. It's horrible. I'll be standing there "listening" then lose focus and then I'm in my head getting angry that I'm not listening.

No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to focus! And it's been like this ever since I can remember.

My boyfriend has ADHD and keeps trying to tell me that I might have it too, but the last time I got tested my mom lied on all the answers. It was weird. I never confronted her about it. But I don't think she realizes how much this impacts my life.

I struggled thoughout my whole life. I can't remember a solid subject class that I did well in. I am a C average student and that's me trying my best. I just need opinions...

Go to your school counseling center and tell them what you wrote here. They will give you some questionnaires and look at your grades and probably of some testing.

Sometimes allergies can mimic ADHD and sometimes you may need a diet change.

My son focuses better with good protein before class.

My son has ADHD and slight drpression and he did his freshman year with no medication. He went to his old psychiatrist last week to get back on medication again because his grades were way down and he lost his scholarship temporarily.

Hope your school helps you! If you are eighteen then your mom won't be involved in the diagnostic process.

Archived