Should I Change Countries For Possible Improvement in Opportunities?

whitwhit

I am 26 years old and at a crossroads at the moment. I realize this isn't something that can be really decided by posting on the internet, but I'd appreciate any advice you can give about what is the smartest course of action.

I currently work at an International Kindergarden in Japan. I really enjoy what I do and I even like the company I work for a lot. They are super fair and treat their foreign employees very well. However, I went to China on holiday in August and really liked it. While I was there I was seriously considering moving there, but ever since returning, I have had mixed feelings about staying or leaving.

In short, a big reason I wanted to come here was to travel and to have more fun in general. Unfortunately, Japan is a really expensive place to live. So I haven't really be able to do too much traveling. Also, its very easy to get by without learning to much Japanese. So while, I really love living here, sometimes I wonder if I am really doing the kind of growing that I came here to experience. Almost like I am getting too comfortable.

Also, I have my career as an educator to figure out.

I really enjoy teaching, but I don't know if I would be okay staying in my current position forever. If I wanted to advance myself past the classroom in the future I could follow a couple different options:

1. Stay with my company for 3-4 more years, at which point they typically offer advancement opportunities for those that want them (working in the headquarters' office/ admin and planning, curriculum writing, head teacher, principal, director of a new wing of business within the company with 10+ years of commitment). In other words, stay in Japan for the long term.

2. Go back to school online and work in China to save money, later try for advancement at a different company.

3. Go to China either this year or next year and be able to advance to a higher position (like writing curriculum) NOW, without going back to school. Even if I am not 100 percent sure I am ready yet. But the challenge would surely be a great one.

4. Go back to America and try to teach at home... (not too excited about this one).

If I do go to China I know these things for sure:

Pros

- I will never be unemployed because the market is sorely in demand for teachers.

- I will save TONS of money, because its so cheap to live there. You can live like a king for a fraction of the price.

- I can get a MASTERS degree while working.

- I will use the native language everyday... tons more than I use Japanese now.

- Mandarin is a much more useful language to know compared to Japanese... in business sense.

- Excitement.

Cons

- China is very dirty, very corrupt. Can be more dangerous than Japan, but is still less dangerous than America.

- Visa must be renewed annually.

- I would be starting life over yet again. New everything.

- Pollution.

- I will really miss Japan and will lose my Japanese possibly.

My contract is up in April, I can renew it for another year- or leave for China and pursue the advanced position/ masters degree.

I am not sure what I want to do.

China is less dangerous than a lot of places in America. Its a big country. And crime generally doesn't happen to working professional foreigners. The Chinese government really wants us there. There are a lot of scammers who target tourists, but those people target Chinese tourists as well.

There is also danger from the government if you break the rules. Which I do not plan to do.

On a day to day basis, people's lives have less crime compared to some places in America because the government scares people out of the desire to steal or assault others.

Based on what you write I am inclined to say go to China. You are still young and it seems like you enjoy experiencing new things. How is your social life in Japan, have you made any friends, how long have you been there?

I have been here for 1.5 years. At the end of my contract, it will be a little over 2 years. My social life here is good. I know people now and my language skills are fairly social. I can't really call a utility company on the phone, but I can be friendly with Japanese speakers.

Archived