the place I want to live doesn't provide much opportunity to make a living

I didn't mean to start your own business in your current industry. I was thinking of something totally different - like riding lessons, or a small store, etc

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I have thought of that and have had my eyes open for something viable that I could switch to. Nothing really viable has come along, partly because I don't really have any expertise or outstanding skills in anything other than what I was doing before. Not out of the question though. Thanks for that suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a big long pity party typed out and just to make a rotten day even more crappy ... it disappeared.

Long story short, wasted 3 hours that I don't really have this morning on a bogus job lead that my well-meaning but very misguided mother and sister sent my way. I had to humour them in order to not look like an ungrateful brat and from the little bit of information I got, it sounded promising ... but it was nothing. And just to reinforce the notion that I am a pitiful loser, my Mom has already texted me enquiring about any "job offers" ... AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I want to cry.

I have come to realize that I have no choice but to move somewhere more fulfilling. On so many levels.

Yes, I will do that. I have been busy trying to finish up a final assignment for a class I am taking, I really didn't want to divert my focus from that until its finished because I'm really struggling with it. Part of the reason this dead end job lead irked me so much this morning. I will also start applying for jobs that are similar to what I've been doing for the last 24 years. I *really* wanted to *not* do that anymore but its the only thing that pays anything worthwhile and I'm tired of scrounging to just get by. Exhausted actually. A few other non-work related things have added to my discontent with living in this part of the world. And you are right, relocating won't solve everything ... but it will make solving the big things MUCH easier.

• 2 months later...

My frustrating job search continues ... and I realize I am the only one posting on my own thread ;-) but I don't care. I need to vent and it doesn't matter if anyone else reads this.

I finally got an interview for a very appealing job although it was in a city 3 hours away and the thought of relocating was daunting. I lived there for 20+ years and I was looking forward to hooking up with all my old friends. I was well-qualified for that job, the pay was excellent and the type of work they were doing was very appealing to me. The interview went well although I found it hard to gauge their reaction (I scared them a bit with the magnitude of the projects in my portfolio, a good lesson for the future). It was basically a done deal, we agreed on a start date, a salary 'range' and I was just waiting for them to send over their offer ... which never came. After more than a week, I texted the interviewer and asked if they had made a decision and he informed that the project they were hiring for was cancelled which obviously changed their hiring plans. S#it! In the interview we discussed this and they weren't worried but I guess that changed. I asked him for feedback on my resume, portfolio, interview just to see if there was something other than the economy that may have changed their mind but he said no, that was all good (I'm taking that at face value -- I see that the job posting has been removed from their website). I realized that until this oil price thing has sorted itself, no one is going to be hiring.

I have also been jumping through a bunch of hoops for a local government job. It doesn't pay that well but would buy me some time to keep looking for something better. I passed all their "tests" and the interview without much difficulty (that's not speculation, they told me so) and I was under the impression that they were starting their new hires ASAP ... but again, a long time has passed without any communication. What gives?!

I've also been trying to put together a plan to sell my house in order to move to the land I own so I can downsize my mortgage and living expenses. What I thought was going to be an affordable endeavour has been continually escalating in cost every time I turn around. The county has been uncooperative and irrational in approving what I want to do (moving a mobile home onto rural land that I own is not exactly radical!) My family are very supportive and are generously helping me out but at the same time, decision by committee is always complicated.

My puppy has developed a rare degenerative condition that requires harsh drugs twice a day and she is not doing well. My once well-adjusted happy-go-lucky puppy is but a shell of her former self, it makes me very sad. If she manages to stabilize at the level she's at now, she will probably live a normal life but my worst fear is that she will deteriorate and I will have to let her go.

I have recently discovered I may have a thyroid issue and until that's properly diagnosed, I am feeling very unsettled about my health. I feel fine, I have never had major health issues before and even "getting old" aches and pains that seem to be creeping up on people much younger than I am have not affected me. The prospect of a serious health crisis is scary to say the least.

More going on than just the job search. Life in general is testing my nerves! *sigh*

OK, I'm going back to my resume writing. One foot in front of the other. If anyone is still reading, thanks.

I'm really sorry about the job but it sounds completely economy/project-related -nothing at all to do with you or your interview performance. I also am looking for work (part time) so I can relate to

One foot in front of the other and I will share what I read on Facebook today about job searching:

Each setback is a learning opportunity. If you take this attitude from the start, you'll never feel that the odds are against you or that you can indulge in the luxury of seeing yourself as a victim. You own your reality and your success is your own. You have the power. Be bold enough to struggle. And be forgiving of yourself and others. The mystics say that this world is a play. Some are given the roles to be successful, others to play villains. Our roles are temporary. One day we play one part, the next day another. The key is detachment. Learn to forgive those who cause us anguish. Then we manage our reality. Then we succeed. the frustration.

Archived