Should I follow up with job or focus on personal life

Need some career advice. Specifically in the IT arena.

I currently work in IT for a partner of a large telecom here in north Texas. I basically do website environment support for testing teams which are testing various aspects of the website functionality. I essentially sit in chatrooms and wait if people have problems and then delegate those issues to other teams who might then do a variety of things: restart a server, change a flag setting, install some code, etc. At the end of the day I raise tickets and coordinate others to get work done, not very challenging or exciting work. I'm not necessarily in a managerial role either, although I do delegate work.

I've been doing this for a year and it is stable work. I get to work from home pretty much 5 days a week and job security is fairly good at this point. Only because of this stability have I been able to move forward as an "adult" and finally get my own apartment, enjoy not scraping for cash every month, go to a sporting event once in a while, and in general, be able to have a stable life. At 32, I realize this may be "late" to finally get my feet off the ground so to speak, but I've had a long road to get to this job and this financial range.

Here's the dilemma:

A fellow co-worker (who also works for the same partner, just on a different team) has propositioned me for a possible position as a Java developer. It would be for the same telecom, just in a different project. This co-worker (who is a senior developer and has a few Masters degrees) has mentioned he would have a large say in who gets hired, and has mentioned he could help me with the learning curve of the job, get me acquainted, etc. This is also a time sensitive offer, so I can't exactly sit on it for a few weeks and then get back to him.

It seems like a great opportunity, career wise, and I think it would be challenging work, which is something I would want.

My concern is that it is coming right as I am planning my transition to this new apartment, and financial stability is at risk. If, for whatever reason, this Java position doesn't pan out, then all of a sudden I'm stuck in an apartment and would have scramble for a new job ASAP. I would not be able to go back to my previous position either (I don't believe) as it would be a transfer of resources from my current team to the new one.

As of now, I am debating whether or not to continue on the path with the possible Java job (and relying on the help of this co-worker to "hold my hand" so to speak), and the possible risk....OR declining for now, focusing on my personal life and establishing myself as an individual, and then pursuing Java at my own pace (which is something I have been doing anyway).

I want to advance my career, yes.

Java would be great and would probably mean more money down the road, yes.

This isn't the only Java job in the world, but this one would include someone who I know and who would help me learn a lot.

But right now I want stability. I don't want to mess up this apartment situation and go back to ground zero (or have to move back in with family which I've been living with for the past 5 some odd years, and who have a slew of their own financial issues anyway).

I realize my current job is not really going anywhere amazing, but its stable.

If anyone has some insight into this, please let me know. I am at a crossroads...

Thanks!

Why wouldn't the Java job work out?

You are still at the same company and have a mentor!

In addition...if it didn't you could likely do another internal transfer.

Like is about moving the ball forward on several fields.

Not solely focused on career OR personal development... But rather career AND personal development.

absolutely ...that's a no brainer!!! The fact that someone from your company came to you with the proposition says a lot about your skills and/or work ethic and probably both.

They know your skillset already, so they expect a learning curve.

This is your foot in the door to get experience, and move ahead in your career. Just do it!

Having a job that is not challenging or exciting can affect a person's drive and morale and make one become lazy.

I suspect you are nervous about something new/lack of experience. My favorite positions (one from years ago and my current one) were ones that I was worried about the most because I was missing one or two skills. Those are the ones I excelled at. Because I had a challenge and never became bored. And you better believed I figured out whatever I had to. A lot to be said for being excited to go to work every day....

Thanks all for the encouragement!

I suppose I have a tendency to over-worry or be very cautious about new endeavors. I think I'm still in a mindset of "just get out of the parents house and don't screw anything up".

I think I also have a (probably ungrounded) fear that simply "looking into" a new position within the same company might raise the red flag and they would fire me on the spot or something. My current role is a necessary one, as boring as it may seem to me, so I know that I have at least some value.

I will follow up with my co-worker and see where it might go.

Thanks all

Archived